Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all

He loves to be out, but he is always getting hurt. We're trying to grow out his bad wing clip which causes most the injuries. I feel so bad because he always wants out, but I can't handle him bleeding.

But today was my fault :(

I had him on the back of the couch looking out the big picture window. My friend came over and I left him there and went out through the garage to let her in. I got distracted showed her my flowers in the front. That's when I see Cosmo flapping around stuck in front of the vertical blinds in the window. I had the front door locked so I had to run around back through the garage to help him. I see blood everywhere! He injured himself on my nick knacks in my window. Ironically I think the metal feet of my bird decoration.

I feel terrible he is always hurting himself at least once a week when he is out. Where is the bubble wrap?!? The week I was terribly sick was the worst week because he didn't come out except for a few times. We got three new feathers out of it, but the poor fella was so desperate to be out and take a shower too.

Not sure how to compromise this situation.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Poor Fid! What is it with some birds and their accident prone tendencies? Sigh....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sorry to hear that. :(

My boy likes to be out too and is a little devil, always up to something, really non-stop, but has never hurt himself. I am worried because he has just two feathers on his chest because he is a plucker, but luckily he seems to know where to go.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh Cosmo not again! I thought Murray was clumsy...

The wing clip will grow out eventually and then maybe he'll be a bit more capable. Until then I'm not sure what you can do but supervise him :(

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Poor little buddy. :( Shame there aren't birdy equivalents of the charm schools they used to have (maybe still do?) for young ladies, to teach grace.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Poor birdie. Maybe you can clip its wings and teach it not to do that? I have heard of people doing that, and my friend did this to her cockatoo. It worked really well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm proud to say he is growing more wing feathers! He has been making some great landings on top of things despite a few crashes here and there. Today when we went to take a shower he flew up and landed on the top of the shower doors like "Look ma! I know what to do!" But the little stinker didn't want to take a shower! Just wanted to sit on top of the doors and sing his heart out to me while I showered. He has been singing and talking up a storm lately! My friend had Cosmo on his hand and he kept saying "pretty bird" so clearly to her!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts