Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , so i recently got a new bird the other day and have left it alone but still talked to it and stuff. She is a bit confusing, in the cage she is sort of scared of my hand but she can stay near my hand but wont really go on it or anything (sometimes when i use a treat but she nibbles) . The confusing part is that when she is not on or near her cage she can relax on my shoulder and not be so afraid , she even lets me pet her but if she is off of me she gets scared?? it is weird, any explanation, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated thank you ;p .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey , so i recently got a new bird the other day and have left it alone but still talked to it and stuff. She is a bit confusing, in the cage she is sort of scared of my hand but she can stay near my hand but wont really go on it or anything (sometimes when i use a treat but she nibbles) . The confusing part is that when she is not on or near her cage she can relax on my shoulder and not be so afraid , she even lets me pet her but if she is off of me she gets scared?? it is weird, any explanation, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated thank you ;p .
Ok, be very careful with your hands. Sounds like he/she may be hand shy. Do you know how old? There are things you can do. Be aware that EVERYTHING you do with a bird involves your hands. If a bird is scared of your hands, you’re set way back in forming a relationship. Can you let (let’s call it a she for now) out on her own? Open the cage and let her out? If given some freedom to choose it can alleviate her anxiety a bit. When she’s on your shoulder, let her see your hands doing simple gentle things. Let them be in her view most of the time. No fast or sudden movements. Slow and gentle. Are her wings clipped? That would be advisable. Try offering her food she likes with your fingers. NEVER put your hands over her unless absolutely necessary. Birds are prey animals and their method of defense is flight. If there’s something in the way (hands) they can’t escape. Sit in front of the TV with her on your shoulder. Put your fingers on your shoulder and just leave them there. Hopefully the response is a little jump, maybe squawk, open beak (I’m gonna bite you...!!!) then she settles once your fingers don’t move. Do this a lot. Once she seems better about things, try the step up thing. Very gently hold out one finger and press against her chest slightly above her legs. Just enough to encourage her to step on your hand. Let her get used to that. Then try to ladder her up - step up to your other hand. Once she steps up a few times you’re doing great! For now, if she’s happy on your shoulder, and you’re ok with it, snuggle with your face gently and maybe offer your tongue. Birds feed each other by vomiting into the others’ mouths. You needn’t go that far but it gives you an idea that she’d be more comfortable dealing with your face - birds don’t have hands 🤣. If she decides she’s comfortable, she’ll shake her tail and grind her beak, thats happy-bird behavior. If she preens while she’s on you, that’s good too. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts