Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! Let me introduce my birds. :pearl::grey tiel:

I got one pair as babies, banana and mario about 5 years ago, they are pearls and we have had a great relationship, and they turned out to be a breeding pair (I have only let them mate once because I don't like the idea of the surplus cockatiels with no homes in the UK). Together we have learnt the up command, treasure hunting, fishing and my boy can whistle things from the wolf whistle to the start of "If you're happy and you know it!". They have never bitten me and are always happy to sit on your hand... unless they see their cage and they always prefer to sit on the top of that. The only problems I had with them was that Mario loved to call out really loudly, but it was manageable through the use of stimulus, waiting it out or when it was too much, temporarily covering the cage for a short while.

Three years ago, my parents asked me to look after their cats as they moved house. I still have those cats. The cats and birds don't seem to bother each other.

Two years ago, I rescued two other cockatiels. It was heartbreaking! One is completely white, but black eyes so not albino, she is a girl and called Syd (short for sydney). The male is a lutino called Mango. They were being kept in a cellar with no light source, they were both underweight and had very little feathers. Also, the white lady must have had a broken wing at some point because she holds it funny and the lutino has 1 missing toe, another toe was bent upwards and he constantly did a open/close action with his mouth, which I associated with anxiety. My intentions were to keep these two in a separate cage, nurse them to health and find them a forever home. But after a month of ALOT of trust exercises, they both started to gain weight, the anxious behaviours stopped, they learnt to fly and they were learning the up command and were happy sitting on me. I still noticed that they were not happy/lacked confidence in the cage. The cage they previously lived in had just one long perch. So it was almost as if they didn't know what to do. So I brought a MASSIVE cage, as I decided to put these Syd and Mango in with Banana and Mango who are both confident, cocky and acrobatic birds.

Fast forward to today, Syd and Mango learnt all the tricks from Mario and Banana, and they are now more than happy to navigate around the cage and have learnt to chew nonstop on the toys I make for them instead of plucking their own feathers.

The problem is that Mario has always been loud, and as Syd grew in confidence, she also became very very very loud. More so than Mario. The source of her calls are unknown to me, perhaps she is still calling out to the other birds that were kept in the cellar... i don't know! I have tried many different things (moving where they are in the house, making sure there cage is changed around every week, letting them out every single day after work etc.). The only thing that helps is to cover the cage. Which settles her, I mean before I had her, Syd and Mango were kept in the dark their whole life... but I think it is unfair to do this. I had complaints in my previous flat about the noise, but I was in most of the day (as I worked from home) so I could manage the sqwarks if they got too much. However, I have just moved into a new flat, and again I am getting complaints about noise from other people in my unit, but this time I am working 9am-7pm! I am ashamed to say that I have resorted to leaving the cage covered about 80% (as in back, sides and 50% of the front covered) in these hours - and that is just not fair for them. I am also really upset to say as well that if I can't find a solution for this that I will have to give them up. I love them so much, but they deserve better :-(

P.S. I should mention that the birds get on well. They have never had a fight and often groom each other so I don't think it is a personality thing, especially since I tried separating them into different cages and it made no difference.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Have you tried leaving a radio on or playing a video for her on youtube to see if that helps? Maybe birds sounds or something along those lines. Flock calling is a thing and she could be calling to you when you're gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks roxy culver and crow.

I have tried to use youtube/radio before. Those techniques only encourage the loud calling, except the others chime in as well. Unfortunately, I do not think she is calling to me, because she sqwarks whether I am in the room, out of the room or standing next to the cage. This sqwark by the way is something that I can hear outside of my house and on the other side of the street!

It could be due to her looking outside, but I did an experiment and covered the part of the cage where they could see the outside... but that didn't help!

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It might not be doable/practical but could you set a spray or mist up? If msted, does she stop calling and preen herself dry instead?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts