Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok- I've been trying to deal with this by myself for a while now and some "remedies" worked a little but I think I should ask for your help at this point...I'm running out of ideas and now nothing seems to be really working. BABY is my little...baby but she's been having these hormonal stages for the last year. I blamed the screaming on the hormones... I went on different sites and talked to lots of people and they all seem to say it's normal and there's nothing one can do. I really doubt that...so maybe you guys can help shed some light...
She screams and when I say SCREAMS I mean SCREECHING, EAR PIERCING at times...I can't leave the room without her screaming for me. Sometimes going to the bathroom is impossible without setting her off...Mornings are horrible...I can't be on the phone sometimes because as soon as she sees me talking she starts her fit. Sometimes she screams even AFTER I pick her up so I am at a loss.
I increased her sleep to over 12hrs of dark, keep changing her cage around, tried covering her when she's screaming and uncovering when she's quiet. That doesn't work well since she's out most of the time and I have to go pick her up (give her attention) then put her in.

I really don't know what to do anymore. If this is normal then I'll live with it :)-I love her no matter what but I can't hear myself think sometimes!

PS- When I cover her, most time I guarantee you she'll start "doing the dance"....:eek: She's did lay a clutch jan 2007 (her first) and I've managed to avoid it so far but I don't know what to do anymore..If it's not eggs or attention it's screaming...

HELP!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Cookie was a shocking screamer for a while when she was a baby, but for me earlier bed time worked and she doesn't scream often anymore. Both mine will start yelling at the top of their lungs if i walk into my room and then walk out without them, but they quite down.

Is there some way you can distract her from screaming. You've probably already got all this, but lots of shreddy toys for chewing can help a lot i find. Or a paper bag stuffed with shredded paper and millet. My guys are silent if they have a millet pinata. :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've probably already got all this, but lots of shreddy toys for chewing can help a lot i find. Or a paper bag stuffed with shredded paper and millet. My guys are silent if they have a millet pinata. :p
Yea, she does have some shreddy toys- I had to remove most of her hanging toys since she was using them for the "happy dance" but now she still does it- toys or no toys. She has some shredders on the bottom of the cage that she plays with sometimes. I'm going to try the paperbag with millet and paper...knowing her she'll probably run for her life:eek: when she sees it... You're lucky that Cookie's quieted down....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts

That's my paper bag toy. I found that putting the extra bits of shredded paper on the outside helped to get them used to it initially. Now they'll go straight to shredding, with or without the extra bits.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the idea-:) I hope that can keep her busy- we'll see how long it lasts. She's not too much into toys-only when she's in the mood. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am going to have the same probelem with toys as you do with baby.

Yea- sounds REALLY familiar- as cruel as it sounds, take out the toys or place them somewhere where they aren't hanging. Baby has alot of toys on the floor now...where she can't do anything.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I just might have to do that she hasn't tried anything yet but I don't like the way she is looking at them if you know what I mean ;)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but I don't like the way she is looking at them if you know what I mean ;)

LOL!!! You're funny. I wouldn't wait for her to try something- she's just figuring our what she CAN do with them so change it up before she gets a chance. You don't want eggs! :p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
OMG!!!:eek: That is the funniest thing ever! :DI didn't realize Blinkie is such a flirt! and COOKIE!!! Bending down for him...oh no Bea!:p
He's gotten as far as mounting her, but then he falls off and gets all embarrassed. Since Cookie's becoming even more ... "willing" .... :p i shoo him (or any of the other boys) away before things get too serious.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's gotten as far as mounting her, but then he falls off and gets all embarrassed. Since Cookie's becoming even more ... "willing" .... :p i shoo him (or any of the other boys) away before things get too serious.
Oh boy- I hope Cookie doesn't mind but I showed a few people the link- it's really halarious! It's good that you're not letting him do anything now that she's a young lady and starting to be hormonal. It's super cute though. You should send it in to America's funniest videos..or Aussies'...hehe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts