Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been two days that my tiel started sneezing and I'm sneezing too. I don't know if he had caught a cold. Something else, he has bad memory with me like sometimes when i get fed up i touch him with a wooden stick that makes him ... scream. I know it sounds taming, but I play with him with the stick and he thinks I'm torturing him. Would I be able to make him forget such memories that make him try to bite me whenever I try to get near the cage. The last thing is, can I take him out of the cage while he's untamed or I won't be able to get him back in? Thanks

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
If you stop doing things that he doesn't like and concentrate on doing things that he does like (such as giving him food treats) he will eventually learn to trust you.

Are his wings clipped? If they are it will be relatively easy to get him back in the cage. If they aren't, you will need to work with him in a small room where there isn't a lot of scope for him to get away from you. If he won't go back in the cage by himself it will take some patience to get him back in the cage. He won't enjoy the round-up process, but if you move in a slow, nonthreatening manner he won't be terribly traumatized by it either.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Three words. I think there allergies!

·
Registered
236 Posts
ok, i have a question: he is in a place where there is a air draft? or he has a shower before?
Tiels are very sensible with air drafts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could be that (s)he is just dusty. you said you got your tiel 10 days ago. If it never had any opportunity to wash in the store or at your place afterwards, it's feathers might be dirty, causing it to sneeze after preening.

Softly spraying above your tiel with lukewarm water should solve the issue then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most sites I visited recommend that you need to give your cockatiel a week to settle, get used to it's cage and such. Talk to it in a soft (babylike) voice, it may sound stupid but our birds love it :)

Gradually start with getting bonding, millet does wonders to let your cockatiel gain trust in your hands.

Mostly birds aren't afraid of you as a person when they learn that you also do fun things with them. He might however associate the stick with unpleasant stuff so it might be he'll get annoyed when he sees the stick.

It's also likely that he will hiss and try and bite in the beginning, that's him being territorial, but when you're patient enough he'll learn to trust you and stop doing that.

As for the sneezing, ours sneezed a lot in the beginning. But after a while we started spraying them with water once in a while, and the sneezing stopped ever since.

Hope this helped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts