Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 6-7 week old cockatiel that I can’t quite figure out. As for now he’s eating some egg, vegetables in a small amount and some seeds but I don’t really know how much to feed him. Do I feed him until he doesn’t want any more food? (He only eats out of my hand)

I’m also wondering if the sound he makes is connected to wanting food, he sounds kind of like a dinosaur screeching and he won’t really take a break from it. I’ve also haven’t seen him drink, any tips on that?

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
If he bobs his head while he's making the noise, he is definitely begging for for food. He is still very young and may not be fully weaned yet. Too much egg isn't good so don't give him a lot of that. But you can let him eat all the vegetables and seed that he wants. It's desirable to feed some pellets too to make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs. You can sprinkle some food on a table top for him to eat, because it's easier for young birds to learn to feed themselves this way instead of eating from a cup. A shallow bowl that's big enough for him to step in and splash around will help teach him to drink water, if he doesn't know how already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts