Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work from 8am-5pm. As soon as I come home, I play with the little guy and take him to the shower with me. He's been really itchy, and the steam and mist helps him. There's usually always someone home, and I live in Hollywood, so there is ALWAYS background noise of some sort. Aflie's favorite are the sirens, haha. I still feel like he might get lonely, though. You see, I stick the shower perch on the bathroom mirror (it won't stick anywhere else), and he gets really aggressive when the shower is over and I try to take him back.

He's generally been kinda cranky. You see, my aunt is visiting from another country, and she sleeps in my room, and she snores super loud. I feel like he doesn't get enough sleep, and he's cranky and nippy throughout the day.

Anyway, point being, I'm thinking about getting another cockatiel and investing in one of those double cages with a divider. He tries to attack his reflection, so I'm a little concerned with sticking two tiels in one cage.

Any suggestions on good double cages? I am very, very limited in space. I do have a lot of porch and balcony space though. Since I live in Hollywood, CA, the weather stays pretty nice and stable. Hardly any rain, and there are ample shaded spots on my balcony. Is it a super bad idea to house the tiels outside? I did research and it's all mixed responses.

Does Alfie even need another cage mate?

:grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel::wf cinnamon::wf cinnamon::wf cinnamon:

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
It may be hes not getting enough sleep and thats why hes cranky same happened to Rocko I have two hamsters im getting rid of i had them in my bedroom and they were making lots of noise so Rocko wasnt getting sleep and was cranky and grumpy in the mornings and now that i moved the Hamsters downstairs hes much happier is it possible for you to ask your Aunt to sleep somewhere else or move the bird although it wouldnt be fair if the bird had to move out of its own space. how long is your Aunt staying? Also Alfie is cute

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But my aunt is super pregnant and super sensitive. I can't tell her to just sleep somewhere else. Lol. I might need to move him at night, and bring him back in the morning. She's leaving early June. My poor little baby.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
But my aunt is super pregnant and super sensitive. I can't tell her to just sleep somewhere else. Lol. I might need to move him at night, and bring him back in the morning. She's leaving early June. My poor little baby.
Well as long as he gets his sleep thats good :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Moving him temporarily could be a good idea. Also How old is he? he could be molting and have pin feathers coming in which would cause that "itching" you were referring to as the pin feathers can be sticking him which is why the shower seems to help him.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't think right now he would need another cage mate, but he might want one in the future. If you want to get him a cage mate I'm sure he would love it once your aunt has left and you have more time. It is always a hit or miss though because sometimes 'tiels don't get along. You also would have to separate them for a quarantine for 30 days and watch the new 'tiel closely. If they showed any signs of being sick then at least your 'tiel didn't get it and you only have to treat one of them. They don't really need a cage mate as long as they have you to interact with, play, and snuggle with for a few hours. :D

For cages I would make sure the ones you are looking aren't so close to each other that they can bite each other's toes off if they get angry. I think a lot of cages are spaced appropriately, but some don't look as safe (the cages touching each other). >.<

I think he might be a little sleep deprived, hormonal, and he's got those itchy pin feathers. So I can see why he is really cranky right now. If he's molting and hormonal he needs a lot of sleep so an area where he can get a lot would be good right now. When cockatiels molt they sleep more and hormones are cured through 12-14 hours of sleep in a quiet dark environment. Do you have a white noise machine or a fan that can drown out some of the noise? If he tolerates the background noise well then he should be fine though. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys! They said his hatch date was on December 9, 2014, but I noticed he's already been shedding feathers and he has the pin like feather on top of his head covered in white sheaths. He has no bald spots. I thought he was molting for a second, but I think he might be too young. I don't see him shed many feathers any more though.
You know, I feel like he tries to bite his own reflection. He's also afraid of the little sparrows outside.
My aunt being here is also a good thing, lol. She's always on the room with him. When she's on the phone, he chirps back because he thinks she's talking to him. At least, I know he has some company. He also loves all his toys. He's never not doing something.

·
Registered
648 Posts
He's definitely not too young to molt. Mines started molting and she's only 4.5 months old. She's got pin feathers absolutely everywhere and it's driving her nuts.
I wouldn't get a new bird right now if I were you, but that's just me, I don't think that's the problem at all. If you do get another bird, you'll need a completely separate cage for quarantine and they'll have to be kept well apart for the duration of the quarantine. After that you can move them closer to each other. I know the cage you're talking about with the dividing wall but those are not great if the birds decide they don't get along because they can still get at each other through the bars.
Hes been molting and probably still is, you said he's shedding feathers and he's right about the right age to be molting too, so that would account for a lot of it. He needs lots of sleep, showers, scritches and patience because he's going to be grumpy as heck. He also needs lots of healthy food. Give him boiled egg, kale, cuttlebone, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh, I knew it! My little Alfie pants is growing up, getting adult feather and all <3. I've been taking him to the shower daily. It seems to have made him less itchy. He hates egg :( I tried. He eat dried spinach and broccoli daily and constantly chews at his cuttlebone. :)

Seriously, thank you guys so much for all your help. I don't think I would have had the time or resources or even space for another tiel right now. Maybe he can get a playmate in the future.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The vegetables give him some protein. You can give him other sources of protein like well cooked chicken and turkey. But just like eggs you shouldn't give them too often, too much protein can be bad for their kidneys. So you usually just give them an egg once a week or every few days. And all those antibiotics in them aren't good for 'tiels either xP...

There are lots of nuts that have high protein level(also high fat levels..) like almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Sunflower and almonds are also very high in vitamin E levels, which is an antioxidant that helps protect against cancer, good for the heart, and improves brain health. Vitamin E is also in the spinach you have been giving him. :)
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=111
http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/730-vitamin-e-keeps-your-brain-razor-sharp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts