Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this forum and I thought I would register because I'm looking for one answer.

I have a cockatiel who is maybe a year/less than a year old. We got it at the pet shop and it was said that it was a female.

At first she didn't eat, she'd sleep all day, never sung etc. until we found out that they gave as a 'tiel with lice. I didn't wanna return her so I cured her and after only a 2 weeks she was a happy lil 'tiel. :yellow pied:

I used to have one, and for her was obvious that she was a female. She loved screeches, never sung, etc.

This one started singing/whistling/ making some chicken noises (if that even makes sense) :D

I've read online that if cockatiel sings it's most likely to be a male ??
This one also loves screeches so much, but hates fingers for some reasons and always bites them. Follows me everywhere around the house, can't even go to the bathroom by myself. :rofl:

So my question is, can you maybe tell me if it's a male or a female??

I will post a few photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Visually, you can't sex a pied, which is what your bird is. But from the behavior you mentioned, it sounds like he's a cock.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
885 Posts
^ Not all females lay eggs though, and those that do, sometimes it can be several years before laying starts.

What a beautiful baby! I agree that the singing sounds very typical of a boy :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. :)
May I say that she sings only when she wants to get out of her cage, and sings when she's mad when we don't pay much attention to her.

ps. her fave are kisses

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not sure why the store would tell you she's a female unless they had her DNA'd. But you can't tell by looking or behavior (except egg-laying), including singing, whether or not it's a male or female with pieds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure why the store would tell you she's a female unless they had her DNA'd. But you can't tell by looking or behavior (except egg-laying), including singing, whether or not it's a male or female with pieds.
Thanks a lot for answering. I thought maybe there is a way. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts