Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't really know what to do, but my mom talked to my friend if she could take care of my 2 cockatiels. The reason is because I need to move, and I have too much pets (1 guinea pig, 2 dogs, and a budgie). I'm gonna have to give the guinea pig to somebody as well. The new house I'm moving to is close enough to walk to my friend's house. I'm so-so with the decision and I'll miss them soo much if they go. Though, the problem is that my friend would keep her past pet birds outside, doesn't/won't cover up the cage with a towel at night, and often bother them (my birds when she comes to my house anyways). She once had a few birds, and they all got eaten by coyotes or either got ill. You see, my friend can never keep her pets indoors because of her dad. I'm just scared that some wild animal might attack them or even by the cat that prowls around my neighborhood. Also, I live in California and the weather is ok here, but winter is pretty cold so urgg I'm awfully worried about this situation of giving away my tiels. The friend of mine is pretty stubborn about her pet care, so I have my doubts. Btw, my mom had already decided to give them to my friend, but I have a day to talk to my mom about it. :pearl::grey tiel: I'm worried sick! >__<

·
Registered
955 Posts
Have you told your mum that your friend is one of those types of person that should never be allowed anywhere near Birds/animals , Is there an Animal shelter near by you could give them to instead where at least you know they will be re homed to someone who will love them and treat them right . I totally get why you are worried, I hope you can find somewhere else to take them in

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would tell your mom that you are not comfortable with giving your birds, or any pets, to your friend. Explain why and ask if you can keep them temporarily and find a better home for them.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Your friend definitely does not sound like someone I'd want to take care of my birds either. If you can, persuade your mum to consider other options. Is there another friend they could go to? Do you absolutely have to give them away? I hope you find a solution!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would definitely look for a different home for those two rather then your friends

Clearly giving them to her is a terrible idea and I hope you can persuade your mom to let you keep them or let you keep them for just the time being until you can get an appropriate permanent home

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should think of putting up your bird on craigslist or giving it to someone else who you trust. Maybe every once in a while you could visit the birds. Do not give your birds to that friend. I got my first tiel from craigslist.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I agree, try to find another home. One that actually cares about their pets. Your in a tough situation.
I grew up in CA so depending on what part, it might be warm enough even in winter to be outside. If you are in the bay area, probably not, but southern CA is ok. But again, you still want someone who will take good care of them. They deserve that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts