Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I just joined today and I am in need of some advice.My new cockatiel has been with us for 4 days now and she/he is very sweet but quiet.I just started to take her out of the cage today and she's been sleeping with me and relaxing on me all day.I tired putting her back into her cage and she started running up and down the bars and tries to fly everywhere(her wings are clipped)I was worried so I took her out for a little longer.I just put her back in and she ate a bit but now she's doing it again and I think she's going to hurt herself.What should I do she can't be out all day.She's getting louder too I haven't heard her/him call out very much until now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi, I can't help you out much, I just got my first tiel on Thurs... I haven't had him out yet as I wanted him to get use to the routine and his cage. She maybe didn't want to go back in... I think there is a lot of stress for these little ones coming in to a new home.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for answering

I will wait until she calms down before taking her out again.She is so sweet so I thought it would be okay to take her out today.I hope it wasn't too soon I just got her on Friday.How is your new tiel?:)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Its never to soon to take them out ;) you will find that most always like to be out with you, its normal mine still do that when they want out they usually pace at the bottom of the cage.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A couple of mine pace excitedly when they see me too! :D It's important to ignore that sort of behaviour though, because they need to learn that they can be calm and happy on their own and they'll get to come out and play with you anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Screech hops onto her food bowl, onto the floor, onto her food bowl etc when she wants out. She only does it when I enter the room, and if I don't look at her she'll go back to normal. I set time limits, and when I need to leave I say 'bye Screech'. If I'm coming back in a minute or two, I say 'coming now' and she accepts it. Blizzard, who isn't tame, but is coming to accept me, slowly but surely, runs up and down in front of the door. His quarantine is almost over, and then we'll see how they react to each other. Very nervous mommy here. :wacko:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.