Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since they've been out and about more lately with no eggs to sit on and no little babies to worry about, Cookie and Bailee have been getting into trouble! Cookie has been taking great pleasure in flying on top of blinds and photos, which is a no no, and Bailee has been losing his mind (not hard with such a small mind, hehehe) and doing frantic laps of what ever room we're in. This exhausts him not to mention that's how he once ended up hitting a window and hurting his head.

So, out came the towel and scissors, and off came some flight feathers. Bailee will have to be redone in about a week because he has a couple of blood feathers just coming through now which we had to dodge. Cookie surprised me! I actually took 3-4 flights off her wings last week and at 100g i thought that would slow her down. But i still had to take 2 more tonight. She's obviously 100g of pure muscle and strength. :p

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
aww now i cant see those 2 little angels doing anything they're not supposed to be doing ;)

ok who am I kidding yes i can :p

I know when ever we clip any of our birds it seems to break thier hearts or pride or both, But I tell em it's for thier own good and saftey I don't want them hurting themselfs

usally only lasts a day or 2 and they're back to thier old selfs in no time - hopefully Cookie and Bailee will be the same

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike likes to do flights around the room as well sometimes but if he gets nippy and not listening like the one time he did, he will be getting clipped aswell. another trick he has is ripping the keys of my keyboard :eek:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Ollie and Georgie have been doing the same thing lately must be something in the air...lol everytime I get them to step up they fly off and I have to chase them :rolleyes: Ollie goes up to the blinds in the hope I won't get him, I don't know whats up with them lately this is a new thing for them thankfully Minnie and Lee still listen to me which is surprising because they are the two that don't like hands as much, I clipped the first three on Georgie and it did nothing to her she still took off when I was done, I had to stop because I thought she was going to have a heart attack you would have thought I was killing her the way she was fussing.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well...Earl and Little Bill are ALWAYS like that! :blink: They land on pictures, they have ruined the corner of the mirror but you can't see it that much. Pheww! :p Earl especially loves the keys on my keyboard, on has already been bit off but luckily went back on. Also the little rubber stoppers covering the screws, are usually in Earl's beak! :rolleyes:

Earl loves doing laps of the room aswell, and Little bill trys to copy, not a good idea since he gets to tired and starts to make a noise that goes faster as he gets more tired. :lol:

I guess clipping Cookie's & Bailee's wings was the only thing you could do, to stop the whole house being destroyed by troublesome teils. :):p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to stop because I thought she was going to have a heart attack you would have thought I was killing her the way she was fussing.
That's exactly what Bailee does, which is why i didn't even try to do it myself. It was a very quick, towel, spread one wing, one snip, spread other wing, snip and we were done. It took less than a minute. :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tsk. Sawyer did that the first (and currently only) time I had to clip his toenails. They were so sharp, but I ended up doing only one foot. :rolleyes: I haven't tried to clip his wings yet, he's not much of a flier for the most part (then again, he keeps breaking his flight feathers because of his many night frights).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lol. Screech sounds like an angel in comparison. :) I clipped her wings last night, with the help of my mom, and she behaved perfectly and I got extra cuddles because she was slightly unnerved. Also, she couldn't care less about flying, she just wants to snuggle. She chews the zips on my jackets when I have her with me, but that's about it. She's not interested in keyboards because she can't sit on me if she wants to chew it. If she's in her cage and I go to take her out, she'll come quite happily and will settle in for a nice long nap on my shoulder, coming to snuggle under my neck occasionally. She's a real snuggly bird, which is great cos I love her to bits. Only problem I foresee is that she prefers attention to food, so I have to set strict time limits on how much snuggling she gets, and when she's in her cage I ignore her chirps to come out. I'm seriously thinking about getting her a friend, perhaps a male friend so after letting them be babies for a while, I can breed if I feel it's ok to do so. I'm going to start handraising Ringnecks later this year, to sell as pets since a guy at work breeds them professionally, and sometimes gets babies that aren't going to be successful breeders. I'm busy researching all their colourations, habits etc before they get foisted on us with our limited knowledge. I'm slightly nervous, but very excited, though I know that selling them will be a major wrench. Knowing us, we'll probably end up keeping them. :wacko:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts