Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just recently gotten two pearl cockatiels and I have no idea what genders they are. They are both pretty vocal, but I don't really know what to look or listen for in terms of 'singing' or just chirping. They do sometimes try to mimic a wolf whistle when I do it first. I have pictures here of their faces and their back/tail feathers. I got them on September 12th, and the lady I got them from said they had just been weened. They can't be more than 16 weeks. I appreciate any knowledgeable advice, thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Could be two males if they are both trying to copy whistling. If they are males they will usually lose most of their pearls in their first moult

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Tough situation. It could be either you have very vocal females or you have two males. As was mentioned above, the males will lose their pearls during first moult between 9 months and a year. Between 6 months and 9 months they'll start heart winging. When viewed from the back, their wings will take on a literal heart shaped image. It's quite cute :)

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Generally, most sex-linked mutations end up being female, because it's easier to get a female than a male. I would contact the breeder and ask about the parents. At this age they're too young to tell gender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts