Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of cockatiels Tinsel and Jessie. Jessie is a very yellow lutino hen, and Tinsel is a wild type male. Jessie is a female as she has barring and spots on her wings and tail. She also exhibits hen mating behaviour (hasn't laid and egg though). My mom has seen them mating but I haven't. Yesterday I put a nest box in their cage and Tinsel nibbled at it adjusting it I believe. He then sat in it for a while. But whenever Jessie goes in Tinsel will go in and Jessie will come out. I moved tinsel to his old cage, and Jessie immediately went into the box. I am unsure of whether Jessie and Tinsel are bonded. I've seen them preening each other and sitting together as well as them mating, but they don't eat together. Any tips on what to do?

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Just wait and see what happens. It's a good sign that they're preening each other, and it doesn't sound like they're actually fighting over the nestbox. They've just gotten the nestbox, and their hormone levels will need to rise some more before they're actually ready to lay eggs. It's the male's job to "fix up" the nest box and that's what he's doing, and of course the hen has to approve of it too.

It doesn't really mean anything that they're not sitting in the nest together. They might start sitting together as they get closer to egg laying time, or they might not. Cockatiel parents are supposed to take turns sitting on the eggs, so it's not at all unusual for one to leave when the other comes in. It's also not unusual for both of them to spend some time together in the nest.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just make sure they are old enough to breed. the hen should be at least 18 months male should be at least 10-12 months. If I do buy cockatiels whose age is unknown I always do wait several months-especially with hens-to ptotect them from egg-binding if bred too young

1 - 3 of 3 Posts