Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had to rush my poor 4 month old Sebastian to the vet. some background info: I got Sebastian when he was 8 weeks old. He had a terrible wing clip. I believe in clipping wings for training purposes but not until the birds are around 6 months old and have already had a chance to learn how to fly. Because he was clipped at 8 weeks he never had the chance to learn to fly. From the time I got him he hasn't been able to get around the cage well unless he can grab on to something, he won't even hop on to different perches. His only way of getting around is climbing from perch to perch or by climbing the cage bars. Since I knew he has issues getting around I added more perches to make it easier on him until he grew out his wings and he could learn to fly. He falls constantly. During the day, at night, all the time. He's in a big cage with my older boy Lorenzo, it's a Prevue F040. Sebastian can be on the top perch, lose his footing trying to move to a new spot, and fall to the bottom of the cage. Because of this he has knocked out all his wing feathers as soon as they grow back in. Up until today there has been very little blood. Nothing I couldn't stop and clean up on my own. Then this morning around 8am I heard him fall in the cage. I figured it was just his typical fall and waited about 15 min before I went to check on him. When I did get over to the cage there was SO much blood. On his wing, his side, his beak. He was flapping his wings and it was spraying everywhere. I then noticed he also knocked out the rest of his tail feathers and they were bleeding along with a little blood on his other wing. I immediately got him out and tried to stop the bleeding but overtime I would make progress he would flap around and it would bleed again. I called my vet and took him in. They ended up having to pull 16 feathers between both wings and his tail. The vet was really busy and didn't have much time to talk to me (they worked me in). He told me to keep a nightlight on so he doesn't have night frights. I know that this is not a case of night frights, this is a case of a baby tiel who never learned how to get around. Considering this doesn't just happen at night. So my question is, what can I do to prevent this? I've added so much to the cage already to make it easier on him. The perches are mainly in the top half with about 2-3 in the bottom half. I didn't want too many at the bottom for him to bounce off of when he falls. I had him in a smaller cage but then he would just go into a corner of the cage and flap his wings as fast as he could, which would then cause bleeding from him flapping them against the cage bars. I tried putting a towel on the bottom of the cage but he still manages to hit the sides of the cage when he falls and bleeds. The towel also got so gross and even though I washed it every day, it was nasty. The vet did give me a bottle of medication to put on from now on to stop the bleeding, it also tastes bad so it will keep him from picking at the feathers. I'm worried he's going to hit his head or something one of these times when he falls and seriously hurt himself. I feel like he needs to be in a padded cage... lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wish I could help you more, but I don't have too much experience with this. I personally would, temporarily, get him a smaller, safer cage, or maybe just take out the perches that are high up. Once he grows his feathers back in, I would teach him to fly properly; there are plenty of articles and videos on the internet explaining how to do so. However, like I said, I don't have much experience with this and can only give you my best guess as to your next actions. I hope it works out for you though, keep us updated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I have tried a smaller cage but he just sits in a corner and flaps his wings as fast as he can. Because of this he still knocks out feathers and bleeds. His wings are so damaged. I feel like I can't win no matter what I do!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds very upsetting and frustrating. Could you have a cage made with three solid sides and only a wire front? Then he wouldn't be catching his wings through the cage bars if he fell. Other than that a smaller cage like what Lunawolfsong suggested but with one of the portable perches on the cage floor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could try to find a cage with three solid sides. Or maybe try to make one myself. That's not a bad idea. I'm just at my end with this entire situation. He fell again this morning and had more bleeding. I'm not sure how since he has no flight feathers at all and no long tail feathers. I think now he's just opening old wounds. It breaks my heart for him. I was scared to uncover the cage this morning. I'm so worried I will find him dead from bleeding to death after a fall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Goodness! I am so sorry to hear that you both are going through this. The best solution I would think would be if you had a spare room that he could grow up in until his feathers have come back in. Your best hope is that they come in, in a good order, and offer each other some protection. I had something similar with my Jupiter, nothing as drastic as your situation though. Can he get out of your bath tub? It may serve as a nice smooth sided nursery for the time being, if he cant escape that is. Good luck to you both!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be a great idea except I live in a one bedroom apartment and also have a cat and a dog. So I already have to take them into the bedroom and close the door for their out of cage time. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in the bedroom without me. There's too much furniture, and our air conditioner vent is like a fan behind a grate. We don't control the air so there's no way for me to turn it off. I also don't know how I would feel about him flying around my bedroom pooping everywhere... Lol. We also don't have a bathtub. Just a shower. So I can't put him in there. I'm really stuck. He hasn't had anymore bleeding today but I know it's only a matter of time. As soon as his feathers start to grow back I know it will happen again. I can't keep affording vet visits to frequently to have his broken feathers pulled since they charge me over $100 a visit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gotcha... you may be able to find a small pet containment pen, for ferrets or guinea pigs etc, and line the sides with felt blankets or something, you would still need to keep your fur babies out of the room though. The good news is that the feathers should grow in at the same time, everyday without an incident will be a huge step forward. Try to keep your spirits up, and if you have to take him back to remove a broken blood feather, see if the vet could teach you how to remove it yourself. I am hoping that you will not have to do either though. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What about putting him in a clear (or not if he prefers not to see out) plastic storage tub at night, you can pad the bottom with a towel or paper towel and just lay a dowel perch on the bottom for him to perch on, you can use window screening or an old cage grate for the top.. The plastic bin will have smooth sides with nothing to hit against and may keep him from injuring himself if he does freak out. You can get a fairly large one at Walmart for under $10

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha... you may be able to find a small pet containment pen, for ferrets or guinea pigs etc, and line the sides with felt blankets or something, you would still need to keep your fur babies out of the room though. The good news is that the feathers should grow in at the same time, everyday without an incident will be a huge step forward. Try to keep your spirits up, and if you have to take him back to remove a broken blood feather, see if the vet could teach you how to remove it yourself. I am hoping that you will not have to do either though. :)
That's a good idea. I will try to look for one! He broke another yesterday afternoon but there was not much blood luckily. I'm not sure where it even came from since he has a duck butt right now and no flight feathers... The vet tried to show me how but he will not cooperate enough for me to hold him and pull the feather at the same time. I don't blame him, I'm sure it hurts!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about putting him in a clear (or not if he prefers not to see out) plastic storage tub at night, you can pad the bottom with a towel or paper towel and just lay a dowel perch on the bottom for him to perch on, you can use window screening or an old cage grate for the top.. The plastic bin will have smooth sides with nothing to hit against and may keep him from injuring himself if he does freak out. You can get a fairly large one at Walmart for under $10
I will look into that! That way I have somewhere to put him when I'm not home and I won't have to worry about him getting hurt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Wade had so many blood feather issues and just opened another this week because the demon cat (he's actually nice but so naughty and irritating, he's my housemate's) gave the birds a night fright.

Since getting him in early February he has needed over 20 feathers pulled and has bled so badly we had to bring him to the vet on short notice twice.

The good news is that he's doing better and there are a lot of success stories out there about birds like him.

It just takes a really long time to get there, and it's heartbreaking.

We use a nightlight to prevent frights and close the door to their room to prevent jerk cats from causing frights.

I like the idea of a tote, it would be very safe as far as not breaking blood feathers. I'm not sure how to deal with baby birds being clumsy. Wade was pretty bad but we spent a long time with him out of cage and got him some brings and other swings to work on his balance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts