Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am sorry to hear about the little baby unfortunetly it does happen as sad as it is, good to hear the other young ones are healthy and doing well, if it ever happened again I would use the needle method Bea suggested it couldn't hurt them any I don't know why the vet would say it was a dangerous thing to do if he thought the baby was going to die anyways, anything is worth a try.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Is this the first clutch the pair have had? They can get over eager with the feeding and pump air in as much as food. It's one of the complications with first time parents i guess, but that doesn't make it any nicer. I'm sorry you lost the little one.

I definitely wouldn't recommend something dangerous. Countless experienced breeders use the method i suggested to relieve air from a crop, but like i said it's a last chance kind of thing. If you can massage the air out that's a lot better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes its there first clutch i have just looked today and one baby was nearly dead it was freezing so i have brought them in and i have borrowed my friends brooder i am going to take over feeding it absoultly freezing :eek:
I have hand reared countless times before but not at 9 days normally 3 weeks old here goes sleepless nighs again

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The little one that was nearly dead has warmed up and recovered quite a bit
good thing you were able to catch it in time and save the baby your doing the right thing by taking them I hope all goes well with the remaining babies, in the end those sleepless nights will be worth it ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks :D totally recovered if how much hissing is anything to go by :eek: they are warm now with full crops !!!!!!!:) when i took the babys out one was nearly stiff with cold he is now chirping away and hising when he see's me charming hey !!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
But he kept falling on to his back its surprising what about of warmth and a crop of food has done !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Glad to hear all is going well :) If you had left them any longer they would have died, bet you are glad that you took them in :D:D

:) Good Luck :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thanks :D totally recovered if how much hissing is anything to go by :eek: they are warm now with full crops !!!!!!!:) when i took the babys out one was nearly stiff with cold he is now chirping away and hising when he see's me charming hey !!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
But he kept falling on to his back its surprising what about of warmth and a crop of food has done !!!!!!
hehe....OH Yeah!!! in this case hissing is a good thing :p I am glad to hear the babies are warm and full and doing better ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
How exciting that you're hand rearing them. I know what hard work it is, but when the little chicks start jumping around soooo excited to see you it's just the best feeling. :D The scariest hand rearing i've had to do was with a newly hatched budgie, it was lost under it's 4 older siblings so for the first three days i fed him every few hours around the clock. Finally the mum heard him and i was able to stop.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I give you credit, it certainly isn't easy to hand rear. I just finished hand rearing my two tiels and I used to do Lutino Lovebirds. I got them when they were 2 weeks old or so. They are fully weaned now. It is most rewarding to watch them go from totally dependant on you to keep them alive to totally independant ( to an extent).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It isn't easy but i hand reared quite a few times now i have hand reared lovebirds kakariki's and parrotlets and now these two little hissing darlings :D very greedy little hissing darlings

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.