Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a few birds recently my cockatiels laid eggs on the 5th of november!!!!! They threw the eggs out of the nest on the 5th of november Bon fire night !!!! i was really upset that nothing come of it
I thought that was it but the hen tiel did not show herself for ages and i was wondering were she was.
I decided to check the nest box and when i looked in the nest box a few days a go to find 4 eggs 3 full of chick and one infertile i thought they were due on the 8th but i decided to check on the 3rd of december by taking a photo with my mobile phone !!!!! i could see a ball of yellow fluff turns out i had a 2 day old chick was 3 eggs still there i checked later on the same day to see one more had hatched a few hours later and one minutes before has from today one chick 5 days old and the other two 3 days old great result mom and dad excellent parents

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Congrats on the babies how exciting for you!!! keep us posted on there progress we love seeing and hearing about babies there so cute :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh, how exciting, please do keep us updated!! And please please, post some pictures...I would love to see them :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Congrats!!! :D I just love baby tiels, they're so incredibly cute with all their fluff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had a rubbish day checked my chicks today oldest at 9 days others at 7 and my oldest chick has got a gas filled crop nothing can be done about this i rang a friend of mine who breeds big parrots and nothing can be done i would have tried to hand rear but you can't put anything in the crop
Anyway mom and dad are looking after baby till the end of is ever short life:(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have already done it i massaged the crop and it all came out dad has since fed the baby
The difference is too i am not hand rearing i have got no were to keep a baby that young it would die of cold.
looking good that he has eaten i think he was just very greedy and his crop has been filled with air

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Good, that's a big relief for you. I was just started to get really worried for the poor baby, but now I can stop worrying!! And also, I've just seen the pictures **soooo adorable!!***. :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
For future reference, if the massaging doesn't work to get the air out you can carefully prick the crop with a sterilized needle and let the air out that way. I know it sounds awful, but like i said, it's an emergency thing. :) I'm glad he seems to be getting food and not air now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
He died i rang the vet and he said by the time i got there he would have been dead.I live in rural wales i also live 50 miles from a avian vet.
He would have died off cold
He said too leave him with mum and dad.
I have told him what you said about pricking an hole in his crop and i was advised never to do this it is very dangerous.
Poor little thing r.i.p the other two are fighting fit

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Sorry to hear. Many chicks die from crop problems. The vet should have realized it's an emergency and advised you to go ahead and use that method though. Bea's had lots of experience and wouldn't advise you if it's not something she's sure about. Sorry again. RIP little birdie

1 - 20 of 58 Posts