Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I just got my bird, about 8 weeks old, either born in late December 2015 or beginning of January 2016. I'll eventually ask the pet shop the exact date if I'll ever pass by again. So far the bird has been having some sleepy minutes then preening then sleeping a bit again then preening again, over and over. The bird did make sounds like calling someone I guess. Can't tell yet if male or female. Haven't ordered DNA test. It still exploring the cage and trying to move around using the beak and cage bars which is unfamiliar with. I set up the cage and hope everything is good. Let me know!
As of this post, the bird has been home since like 3PM ET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKig5Y2tqM&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
786 Posts
Your baby is just gorgeous!! She looks very content in her cage. You might want to add a natural perch, like a grapevine perch, as it's good for their feet to have different sizes. Soon you will be like all the rest of us with more toys than you can believe- I have a box full already. It's like eating chips, you can't have just one :p

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Very lovely baby, congrats! :love:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Your baby is just gorgeous!! She looks very content in her cage. You might want to add a natural perch, like a grapevine perch, as it's good for their feet to have different sizes. Soon you will be like all the rest of us with more toys than you can believe- I have a box full already. It's like eating chips, you can't have just one :p
Too true! :D I joke that Joey has more toys than I did as a kid. :D Not yet, but give me time. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I got some stuffs today but the way I put them in is I really think is too much space used, the bird would hit the tail when moving around and there's too much perches. I'm gonna change everything again tomorrow then make a video and show it here.

I just have this small problem and hoping anyone can tell me if this is normal behavior at such young age. The bird in the pet shop was not in a cage. It was in some kinda circle shape box with 2 other tiels in it and with no perches, they were always standing on their feet and walking around on feet. When in the cage, the bird tries to climb on the cage bars using his beak and feet but ends up falling to the bottom on the plastic tray most of the time or get kinda stuck in some corner on the bottom trying to climb up or whatever it does. I'm guessing its probably doing that due to first time on a cage? Exploring things around, etc...? When I put birdy outside on the floor, it tries to jump and fly I guess but can't yet. I put a ladder toy from the bottom tray to the first cage bar but it's not using it, it goes and tries to climb instead, it will only use it if I guide it through the ladder with my finger. Hardly eating and drinking too, I'm guessing it's because due to his lack of movement using the perches. However when on a perch, seems to have difficulties turning its position to move around on the same perch or to other perches and to go eat, drink, etc... This is also when it falls down and
I'm just worried if it keeps doing all this, it might hurt itself.

UPDATE : changed the cage layout. Help me set it up if it's not good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3hfRf3cG9k&feature=youtu.be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts