Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it will need work. I need to get the paint completely off and take care of the rust. Then it will be repainted with child safe non toxic paint. The rust will be dealt with using either an equal part mixture of vinegar and water or I will see if there are any non toxic primers that neutralize rust on contact. I know the vinegar/water mixture softens the paint also making it easier to scrape. It also helps that the rust, while on a lot of the cage, appears to be a thin coating. I can see good metal underneath the rust without having done anything but disassemble the cage. The original nuts and bolts will be replaced with stainless steel nuts and bolts. The original ones were rusty and looked like they were plated at one point. I'll keep them for non bird projects but they won't get used for this project. This cage is 5 feet tall, 32 inches wide and 22 inches deep. The usable height is more like 3 feet I think. It is well built though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will once I get a chance to resize it. I agree it is pretty cool though. Spacing is 3/4 inch. Some say it will be fine and some say it is asking for trouble but it is much bigger than the cage they have now. In fact, it is twice the size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I think it should be OK I used to jave one my parakeets would get out but the previous owner sadistic he had 2 in there so I think it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may add mesh because of the 3/4 inch spacing. I have a feeling that it will be ok though since I always leave their door open and they spend a lot of time on their play stand. This cage was made for a play stand on top. The top grate is removable. I have attached pics of the disassembled cage. Not sure if I want to paint it white or beige which is the color it is now. I made some progress on the paint removal, but I have been busy with other things the last few days. I will be working on it in earnest though later today. The good news is that the rust is not deep that I can see, in fact with a little white vinegar and some elbow grease I was able to completely remove the rust on one bar and now you would never know that bar had rust on it at all. I hope all the others are the same but from my close examination of the other parts it looks like it only has surface rust.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics. One is of the whole cage disassembled and the other is of the progress I made on it today. The rust appears to be surface rust. The bars that I started work on but have not finished yet show what the rust looked like before I sanded it with a dremel. I am excited to see it once finished. It is a slow process but I want to do it right. My birds' lives depend on it. Speaking of which Charlie and Zarra are bonding. I am happy to see this. I have a third named Eva who I want to find a mate as well.
 

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top