Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well in the middle of covid19 i got 2 new cockatiels (and because of that i cannot take them to vet)
they are not weaned as i wanted to wean them myself
they are not as active/curious/vocal as baby cockatiels should be(maybe they are adjusting but they are in sleeping position/slet eat his formula so we have to force the formula or shoot it slowly in his mouth when it is open
and they are looking a bit stressed
as they are not weaned they live in a large nestbox and because they have been abusively fed by the shop owner they dont have much of a bond with me
most of the time they are in the corner huddled up together
and whenever i pick the other one up to keep him on the ground or back in he poops alot of poop which is watery (maybe formula?) and a darkish mustard color the other one poops just fine
they are very afraid of my hand and are almost like shivering most of the time their headcrest (not developed is most of the time down) and how do i bond with them and make the other one eat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well in the middle of covid19 i got 2 new cockatiels (and because of that i cannot take them to vet)
they are not weaned as i wanted to wean them myself
they are not as active/curious/vocal as baby cockatiels should be(maybe they are adjusting but they are in sleeping position/slet eat his formula so we have to force the formula or shoot it slowly in his mouth when it is open
and they are looking a bit stressed
as they are not weaned they live in a large nestbox and because they have been abusively fed by the shop owner they dont have much of a bond with me
most of the time they are in the corner huddled up together
and whenever i pick the other one up to keep him on the ground or back in he poops alot of poop which is watery (maybe formula?) and a darkish mustard color the other one poops just fine
they are very afraid of my hand and are almost like shivering most of the time their headcrest (not developed is most of the time down) and how do i bond with them and make the other one eat
please reply i am very sad what if they are ill any of you have ideas pls????!!!! they are not more than 6 weeks help me save them

·
Registered
74 Posts
First. Get a good scale or balance, so you can get their weight tracked.
How exactly old are you? If you know, you can tell if their developments are on track.
Second, make sure the babies stay warm enough, otherwise, they will have more problem.
All babies spend most time to sleep, that is normal.
Due to there are lots of water in baby formula, their poop is usually watery or very wet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First. Get a good scale or balance, so you can get their weight tracked.
How exactly old are you? If you know, you can tell if their developments are on track.
Second, make sure the babies stay warm enough, otherwise, they will have more problem.
All babies spend most time to sleep, that is normal.
Due to there are lots of water in baby formula, their poop is usually watery or very wet.

Will a heat lamp work ? There is one yellow and black cockatiel which doesn't eat his formula, all the time he looks very thin so we have to force formula down his throat and then he eats a good 5 ml, and the formula gets stuck to them so is there any way to clean them and how do I bond with them? Well the shopkeeper said they are going to be weaned by next month so I just need to help them go through tHis stage they should be around 6 weeks here is a picture
IMG_20200628_173800.jpg
IMG_20200628_173800.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Heat lamp will help, what is the environment temperature right now? You don't want to over heat them either. Some cockatiel get used to be feeded by parent, not very responsive to hand feed. And you can hold their up beak mandible, this will promote baby to eat. As long as they open beak, pumping formula down is fine. That is how commercial bird feeding does. Just to be ware not injecting to respiration duct.

Read the hand feeding portion will be helpful:

and you should check weight of baby daily and comparing:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thank yo for your help but we returned them as they had bonded with the shopkeeper and bought 2 5-6 months old well the thing is they are extreeeeemmmmmeeelllllyyy scared of my hand and iwant to hand tame them any tipsas a new problem has come now :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am glad you return them to the shopkeeper. Handfeeding is not a easy tusk, especially first time owner. I hope you enjoy the adults cockatiels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts