Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiel lets me scratch his head with almost my whole hand, lets me feed him, and is never scared from my hand, BUT when I approach my finger slightly to his chest to make him step up, he goes full attack mode. Why does he do this? I got him 3 days ago if that helps or anything.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't understand

Hi - you have only had your bird 3 days. I will take a little time to get him fully used to you. Just spend a lot of time with him: just sit with him, talk to him, let him get used to your presence. Try holding some millet spray in your fingers and let him eat from it. He will learn to see your hand is not threatening. While he's working on the millet, slowly lift your hand. He may just step up on it to be able to keep reaching the millet. Or, slowly roll your hand away from him as he's eating so he has to reach OVER your hand to get the millet. He may step up on your hand to be able to reach it easier. Just be patient and give him time; I am sure he will soon learn to accept your hand. Best wishes amd enjoy your new little friend!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - you have only had your bird 3 days. I will take a little time to get him fully used to you. Just spend a lot of time with him: just sit with him, talk to him, let him get used to your presence. Try holding some millet spray in your fingers and let him eat from it. He will learn to see your hand is not threatening. While he's working on the millet, slowly lift your hand. He may just step up on it to be able to keep reaching the millet. Or, slowly roll your hand away from him as he's eating so he has to reach OVER your hand to get the millet. He may step up on your hand to be able to reach it easier. Just be patient and give him time; I am sure he will soon learn to accept your hand. Best wishes amd enjoy your new little friend!
Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.