Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started high school so I haven't had the most time to spend with my teil. I do take it out and let it run around while i do my hw but as soon as it starts eating my papers I have to put it away before it causes any real damage. With my limited time home and time to spend with it I think its kind of forgotten who I was. I got it when it was 3 months old and have had it for about 4 months, when I first got it, I tried to let it get settled in its new home but it didn't want to stay in its cage at all and stuck to me instantly, although it never really liked getting pets I figured out a way that it did. Now I can take its out of its cage but I can't even come near it without i spreading ts wings and giving me that angry swak. How can I fix this I have tried treats but I feel like it hates me. (and if your wondering why I keep saying it, its because I don;t know the gender yet)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As it is older now it will be harder (but not impossible) to earn the birds trust. I suggest spending a lot of time sitting near the bird in its cage as this is where it is most comfortable and talk to it in a soft voice, and never force the bird to do anything. Slowly offer it treats etc through the cage as it gains your trust and go from there. You have to take your time and be extremely patient earning its trust, they are too smart for their own good sometimes! :grey tiel: There is also a sticky in this forum with a step by step guide to taming https://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=113153

1 - 3 of 3 Posts