Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ended up giving Ozzie a light clip today XP I only clipped three primary flights on each wing, so he can still fly well, but he can't go very fast. He's been....very upset, for lack of better wording, the past couple weeks. Almost constant screaming and even more intolerant toward Missy's presence in the room than usual.

I don't think it's hormones, since all of the birds are already on 14 hour "nights", he's not getting any soft foods, food is not "abundant (I make them forage for nearly everything in various areas around their cage), etc. Because of the fact he would chase Missy around the room and attempt to attack her during out of cage time, I was having to cut their out of cage time shorter because I had to let them have supervised out of cage time in separate rooms and I can't be in two separate rooms at the same time. XP I'm thinking maybe it's frustration from not having the amount of exercise and freedom they used to have? (They originally were getting 8-10hrs a day out, then it was cut back to about 4-6hrs a day.)

So, I'm hoping, with a light clip to slow him down a little bit, they can have more out of cage time again without him being able to catch and harass Missy. ;v; I hate the thought of the fact that I just clipped one of my birds, but he's doing surprisingly well so far. (Ever since my first cockatiel, I've always left my birds fully flighted.) And he's due to molt again in about 2 months. Fingers crossed frustration is all it is, and he'll go back to being only mildly annoyed at Missy's presence. ;v;

(That's one of my friends in the video)

·
Registered
786 Posts
He looks so happy and content with all the head scritches........

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. If you needed a reason to clip, that's definitely a good reason. And besides, they're just feathers! They'll grow back in no time :)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cute video! He is loving his head scratches that is for sure.
He looks so happy and content with all the head scritches........
He's not always like this, believe me! After 7 years of being locked in a too-small-cage and never being handled, and one year since I adopted him and he came to live with me, he's still fearful of people. He's not aggressive, just frightened.
But once in a great while, you'll catch glimpses of the bird he's becoming, like you see in the video. <3

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. If you needed a reason to clip, that's definitely a good reason. And besides, they're just feathers! They'll grow back in no time :)
;v; I keep telling myself that! I'm glad I decided to just go with a light semi-clip though. I had really felt bad about clipping him, since he had just learned to fly after 7 years (and he's gotten pretty darn good at it too! ^_^), but with the semi-clip he can still manage flight very well; just not well enough to go fast enough to chase Missy. ;)

I let them out today (they're still out as I type) in the room together, and they seem to be doing well so far. A few squawks and screams from Ozzie in Missy's direction, but nothing worse!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts