Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so miso has taken a liking to bathing a lot more lately and we've been more interested in taking him into the shower--mainly because my mom is afraid that the spray bottle isn't healthy and can harbor bacteria (fair enough, though i do clean it out with vinegar and let it sit). so i'mtrying to find a decent one, but they're all sand coated!

i don't have any sand perches in her cages, only plastic, wood, rope, and cement. i know sand is horrible for their nails and feet. is there a reason for the sand? is it for better grip?

is the sand okay if its just for the shower perch?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It should be fine. There's nothing wrong with having a sand perch even as an option in the main cage, it just shouldn't be the only perches a bird has because that can irritate feet. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't know whether sand is OK or not, but I may have a sand-free solution...

I got a Happy Perch, which is just a smooth perch with 'suckers' on the end to stick to the shower wall or in my case the window. Even dry Murray has trouble getting a grip, so I bought some waterproof vet wrap and wrapped it up. The vet wrap is textured like fabric, so she can grip. I change it regularly to keep it clean.

PS: I don't know how available Happy Perches are these days, but if you did find a smooth perch this could be an option!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts