Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a little over two weeks since I got my very first bird and I can already tell right now I'm going to get another one some time in the future. Maybe a budgie or something a little bigger like a TAG or maybe even a Senegal. My wallet tells me no..but my heart tells me yes :D:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Let the new bird excitement wear off first.

They're really easy when they're new. You're excited to spend time with them. Cleaning their cage and never ending mess is easy peasy. Your day practically revolves around them!

But eventually that does wear off. They are a lot of work. The cleaning cages, scraping poop and food off the walls, dicing up veggies and fruits, listening to them scream for attention, dealing with hormonal rage, having to be home early to put them to bed... You have to do all that every day for the next 20+ years! It can be tedious and draining. Just don't bite off more than you can chew!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see your point as well. I have it set up so that I can just pull off a layer of newspaper every morning before leaving to class and work, even that is beginning to be tedious. I just want to love and take in all the animals in the world :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And by in the future I mean like a long time in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
If you still feel the level of attachment to birds and just love working with them, go for it. I did. I've had birds since 2011 (so, still relatively recently) and I still never skip a beat with their attention and care.

But I agree, give the novelty a chance to wear off and if you still want another, I'd say there's your answer

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also looking into volunteering with the local aviary, I just enjoy working with them. I used to volunteer at the World Center for Birds of Prey in Boise. That's where my bird nerdiness kicked in :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is definitely a HUGE difference when you have more than one. I can't take Obi around the house anymore as Boba starts screaming when we go out of his eyesight and he thinks he's alone. I haven't been able to take Boba out yet since he's still getting used to me and they can only come out when the cats have been put up. I haven't really seen much difference in the mess. The only real difference I've seen is in the noise and the amount of millet sprays I go through!

A lot of the noise factor just depends on the bird, I think. It's pretty noisy in my house because I have two males that get each other going. I've heard females are pretty quiet. I also happen to have pretty loud birds. When Boba is startled by something, he makes the sounds of a car alarm, complete with the little 'beep beep' at the end when it's shut off.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
But eventually that does wear off. They are a lot of work. The cleaning cages, scraping poop and food off the walls, dicing up veggies and fruits, listening to them scream for attention, dealing with hormonal rage, having to be home early to put them to bed... You have to do all that every day for the next 20+ years! It can be tedious and draining. Just don't bite off more than you can chew!
Yep. And just wait until you run into medical problems with them. (And you will, eventually, no matter how good a job you do at prevention -- that's a part of animal aging the same as human aging.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well jeez guys discourage me from getting a bird why don't you :p I understand there's going to be bills, I've already taken him in to get a new bird check up and that wasnt cheap. Of course I'm gonna wait a bit until considering getting another bird

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm also in the same position Rumz after 1 month of having my little tiel but I'm mostly considering it for her to have a friend to chit chat as I'm working long hours mid week and she's alone pretty much all day long.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me I didnt notice any increase in work after going from 1 bird to 3 birds, not like cleaning a cages takes long, nor filling feed, and theres always plenty of time to have give them all attention

1 - 11 of 11 Posts