Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...about the tiels. It was on answer machine, so I left a message saying that I was interested in a tiel, they did say call evenings, I called about 6pm. Hopefully I will get a call back soon! :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a call back a couple of hours, she was very nice, but told me she had stopped breeding for this year, and would start again at Easter or around that time. To be honest, I can't really wait that long!!

I have also been e-mailing a lady who lives in the same town as me and she has some parent reared cockatiels for sale for £10 in an aviary, she says that because they are young they will easily grow to be as tame as a hand reared one, is this true?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I got a call back a couple of hours, she was very nice, but told me she had stopped breeding for this year, and would start again at Easter or around that time. To be honest, I can't really wait that long!!

I have also been e-mailing a lady who lives in the same town as me and she has some parent reared cockatiels for sale for £10 in an aviary, she says that because they are young they will easily grow to be as tame as a hand reared one, is this true?
from what I have read as I don't have alot of experience in this area, parent raised cockatiels can be just as nice as long as them have been handled, if she has to chase the birds around or wear gloves to get it out you might want to look elsewhere I found this article that gives some information.
http://www.larrysbirdshows.com/buying_birds.shtml

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Cookie wasn't hand reared. ;) I believe that if you buy them young enough (i.e. just weaned - 8 weeks) they will become just as tame as if they were hand reared.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok, thanks. ;)
Laura - thanks for the link, I will ask her if they have been handled at all :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Awww, I'm sorry it didn't work out with the Dooby lady. I can't say I blame you though, I wouldn't be able to wait that long either. Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll get a loving little Tiel soon.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I got all my birds from a petstore. The budgies weren't tame but now are and the tiels were pretty tame and are now glued to me. It all depends on the birds. Go see them and decide there. You'll know when you see it!

·
Registered
455 Posts
i bought a hand fed bird at a pet store. Keep in mind that hand fed is NOT hand reared. I actually paid MORE for Charlie than if I had gotten her from a breeder. Charlie has NOT been easy to tame (and still isnt) and I've suffered a really nasty bite. I do however, love her to pieces...
I bought Buddy at a pet store where they handle their birds. Buddy went from my hand to my shoulder and we've been friends ever since.
If I were you, I would go to another breeder, or at least check out some local pet shops that may handle their birds..your experience will be so much better, I promise you.

Oh...and google cockatiel rescue in your area...there are some really sweet birds that need to be adopted...
You can get a tamed cockatiel, maybe a little older, but sweet....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been following your other thread and was so excited to hear you called! It's very unfortunate that you can't get one from her :( Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a shame....but I'm still on the look out for any tiel adverts!!
I would preferably like to get him/her near the October half term which is in a couple of weeks so I can spend all day with him/her and watch how it settles in and stuff like that..:)
Also, I phoned up the pet shop - no tiels in stock.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It's a shame....but I'm still on the look out for any tiel adverts!!
I would preferably like to get him/her near the October half term which is in a couple of weeks so I can spend all day with him/her and watch how it settles in and stuff like that..:)
Also, I phoned up the pet shop - no tiels in stock.
I am really hoping one comes along soon for you Rosie ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Laura :)
I am also going to buy a weekly paper called 'Adtrader' where people advertise anything they want, including pets/pet supplies. Comes out every Wednesday so thats tomorrow, I shall be buying it!! Ya never know what you could in there **hand reared cockatiels perhaps!!** :D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thanks Laura :)
I am also going to buy a weekly paper called 'Adtrader' where people advertise anything they want, including pets/pet supplies. Comes out every Wednesday so thats tomorrow, I shall be buying it!! Ya never know what you could in there **hand reared cockatiels perhaps!!** :D
You have probably already done this but have you tried looking on the net for breeders in your area.. I found this site if you haven't seen it yet you type in what your looking for and your region :)
http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can try what i did when i wanted Cookie. Get the phone book and ring every pet shop within a reasonable distance. I found Cookie at a little pet shop just out of the city which i didn't even know existed. It turned out to be a great little shop too.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone!!
Bea - thats a good idea, thanks ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts