Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellow all Senior and Fallow Members i hope you all are fit and fine i am new user ov this forum and keeping
Cockatiels From last two years and keeping budgies from last 4 years.I have seen many Breeding and behavior problem in cockatiels.I have some questions.
1)What is best breeding age for Cockatiels?
2)Can we bond bro/sis As a breeding pair?
3)Why some pairs abandon their egg or chicks?
4)What is the easy way to bond a male/female with another male/female?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

In response to your questions:

1. The best breeding age is usually around a year and half or older. Younger than this and it's like letting two teenagers have babies. This allows for both birds to be fully mature.
2. It is not recommended to bond brother and sister and allow them to mate. It causes there to be higher death rates in the nest, birth defects, and tends to ruin what every breeder has been working for over the last 50 years. The goal of breeding is to further enhance the species, bring out the best qualities and diminish the unhealthy or unwanted ones (i.e the bald spot in lutinos). Breeding two siblings together is always a no no.
3. There's really no good answer to this. Something spooks them, they are inexperienced, they are very hormonal and want to lay more eggs. How old are they chicks when they are abandoned?
4. Letting the birds pick each other is the easiest way. Just putting them together and letting the pairs sort themselves out is the best way to get good pairs. Birds can sense things in their partners that we can't see.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum!

In response to your questions:

1. The best breeding age is usually around a year and half or older. Younger than this and it's like letting two teenagers have babies. This allows for both birds to be fully mature.
2. It is not recommended to bond brother and sister and allow them to mate. It causes there to be higher death rates in the nest, birth defects, and tends to ruin what every breeder has been working for over the last 50 years. The goal of breeding is to further enhance the species, bring out the best qualities and diminish the unhealthy or unwanted ones (i.e the bald spot in lutinos). Breeding two siblings together is always a no no.
3. There's really no good answer to this. Something spooks them, they are inexperienced, they are very hormonal and want to lay more eggs. How old are they chicks when they are abandoned?
4. Letting the birds pick each other is the easiest way. Just putting them together and letting the pairs sort themselves out is the best way to get good pairs. Birds can sense things in their partners that we can't see.
Thank you so much roxy for your kind words. i have 3 pairs yet and i love to breed cockatiels.some time ago i had all the 3 pairs breeding but 2 pairs i had bonded with sibblings means both pairs brother/sister.After some unsuccessful cluthes i broke up both pairs and rotate males with each other female one month ago.Now i am waiting and watching when they bond with eachother.I removed nest boxes yet.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yea the fact that they were related was probably why the clutches didn't survive. The parents can sense when there is something wrong with a baby and abandon it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea the fact that they were related was probably why the clutches didn't survive. The parents can sense when there is something wrong with a baby and abandon it.
yes and one more interesting thing i have noted in cockatiels is their age, i have tried 9 to 12 months age for breed but always had some problems.
1) laid too many eggs 8 to 9 per clutch
2) poor incubation (cause of Dead In Shell)
3) Poor feeding to chicks

too many peoples recommend me that always breed mature cockatiels, means males mature in 12 to 18 month and females mature in 18 to 24 month.
What you suggest? Thanks

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! We all love pictures so feel free to show us photos of your birds :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
18 months is my suggestion. Anything younger isn't ready.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes roxy bro i also recommend minimum 18 months for breeding cockatiels.
Bro i have another question, In how much maximum age cockatiels can breed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts