Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to call my breeder that I got JoJo from. She has four babies that were hatched on the 19th and the 20th of April. Their parents are the same parents as JoJo's. She sent me photos of them the day after they were hatched, and again last night. They are adorable!
I have been reading a page on Just Cockatiels website
( http://www.justcockatiels.net/sexing-cockatiels.html ) about sexing young birds and it makes a lot of sense. Have any of you seen this site and what do you think? I definitely want a male, and plan to use some of her methods. Any other suggestions? I may do DNA before I choose one to bring home. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Ah thats cute so they are related to jojo just wondering if u got one do cockatiels know not to mate with their relatives. Are you thinking of getting one of those cuties

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yay, baby birdies! Thanks for the pics, so sweet.

Can't really help with sexing, of course it's bit of a nightmare knowing exactly what you're getting .. I was sold Maxi as a very young fledgeling (actually think she was too young to have fledged looking back) and was told she was male.. I don't think there's any easy or foolproof way to know when they're very young, unfortunately.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah thats cute so they are related to jojo just wondering if u got one do cockatiels know not to mate with their relatives. Are you thinking of getting one of those cuties
I am definitely going to get one of them. I won't be breeding them though, but thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay, baby birdies! Thanks for the pics, so sweet.

Can't really help with sexing, of course it's bit of a nightmare knowing exactly what you're getting .. I was sold Maxi as a very young fledgeling (actually think she was too young to have fledged looking back) and was told she was male.. I don't think there's any easy or foolproof way to know when they're very young, unfortunately.
Thanks, I just love the babies too. I know telling the sex is iffy, but I am going to try LOL! I'll probably end up with a shy female but that is OK too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have decided to call my breeder that I got JoJo from. She has four babies that were hatched on the 19th and the 20th of April. Their parents are the same parents as JoJo's. She sent me photos of them the day after they were hatched, and again last night. They are adorable!
I have been reading a page on Just Cockatiels website
( http://www.justcockatiels.net/sexing-cockatiels.html ) about sexing young birds and it makes a lot of sense. Have any of you seen this site and what do you think? I definitely want a male, and plan to use some of her methods. Any other suggestions? I may do DNA before I choose one to bring home. Thoughts?
Oh my gosh, they are so precious!

I can tell you that Just Cockatiels is a very reliable website. I use that website for all of my cockatiel inquiries. Susanne (the website owner) is incredible and really knows her stuff. Many experienced cockatiel owners and breeders will tell you that they use her site a lot.

One way of sexing baby cockatiels that can be, and in my experience has been, rather accurate is based on their genetics. If given the mutations of the parents and of the babies, it is sometimes possible to tell what the sex of the babies is. This is only possible when it comes to the sex-linked mutations - lutino, cinnamon, and pearl - but as these are also rather common mutations, a lot of babies can be sexed just by looking at their genetics. If you could tell me the mutations of the parents, and maybe provide me with pictures of the parents and all 4 babies, I (and many others on here) might be able to tell you the sex of the chicks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I can tell you that Just Cockatiels is a very reliable website. I use that website for all of my cockatiel inquiries. Susanne (the website owner) is incredible and really knows her stuff. Many experienced cockatiel owners and breeders will tell you that they use her site a lot.

One way of sexing baby cockatiels that can be, and in my experience has been, rather accurate is based on their genetics. If given the mutations of the parents and of the babies, it is sometimes possible to tell what the sex of the babies is. This is only possible when it comes to the sex-linked mutations - lutino, cinnamon, and pearl - but as these are also rather common mutations, a lot of babies can be sexed just by looking at their genetics. If you could tell me the mutations of the parents, and maybe provide me with pictures of the parents and all 4 babies, I (and many others on here) might be able to tell you the sex of the chicks.
That is great! I am going to see them tomorrow, I know that one is Lutino as it has the eyes of a different color according to the breeder- the other two she thinks at this time maybe a normal grey and a pied pearl. JoJo was a pied pearl also. I will let you know the mutations of the parents when I see them tomorrow. I am thinking of doing the feather DNA also, to be extra sure, as I want a male. What DNA company do you use? I am thinking Avian Biotech in Florida...good idea or not?

·
Registered
267 Posts
They're so cute! Is Jo-Jo male or female? You definitely want to make sure that they are of the same sex if they will be housed together, even if you're not breeding them they will likely try to mate, which could be an issue in the future

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're so cute! Is Jo-Jo male or female? You definitely want to make sure that they are of the same sex if they will be housed together, even if you're not breeding them they will likely try to mate, which could be an issue in the future
JoJo has passed, so I am looking at some chicks now. I am sending some feathers in for the baby to do DNA Sexing. JoJo was a male. I am hoping the baby is a male also. The new baby is from the same parents as JoJo.
I doubt I will ever have more than one at a time, just don't want to get into the breeding aspect of it... :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Hi Frostwish, I went to see the babies today- My how they have grown! The mom is a pearl pied and the dad is a normal grey. Here is a shot of them (not very good photography).

Here are a couple of shots of the babies- the one I am holding is what looks to be a pearl pied also. The other two appear to be one grey and one lutino. (They all have food on their beaks, they were in the middle of being fed)

I did get some chest feathers from the pearl pied and am sending them off for DNA sexing. But I would love any info you could give me! What do you think?
PS- the fourth baby didn't make it :(

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Frostwish, I went to see the babies today- My how they have grown! The mom is a pearl pied and the dad is a normal grey. Here is a shot of them (not very good photography).

Here are a couple of shots of the babies- the one I am holding is what looks to be a pearl pied also. The other two appear to be one grey and one lutino. (They all have food on their beaks, they were in the middle of being fed)

I did get some chest feathers from the pearl pied and am sending them off for DNA sexing. But I would love any info you could give me! What do you think?
PS- the fourth baby didn't make it :(
Aw! I'm so sad about that last baby! :(

Well, so, I'm gonna give you the short version first and then an explanation. I can confirm that the lutino is female and the grey is male. The pearl pied could be either gender. The lutino and the grey are both split to pied. The grey is also split to pearl and lutino. Also, the father is split to lutino, pearl, and pied.

Now for the explanation. This can get rather confusing when you try to explain it, but I will try to make things as clear as possible. So, the first thing you should know is that cinnamon, pearl, and lutino are sex-linked mutations, meaning that they are inherited through mutated chromosomes. Male birds have two W chromosomes. Female birds have one W and one Z chromosome. Only W chromosomes can be mutated. Female birds must have their W chromosome mutated in order to be visible for a sex-linked mutation. They cannot be split to sex-linked mutations. Male birds must have both of their W chromosomes mutated to the same mutation in order for it to be visible. If only one of their chromosomes is mutated, then they are split to that mutation, meaning they carry it and can pass it on to their children, but it is not visible.

The father must be split to pearl and lutino because it showed up in his children. In order for any bird, male or female, to be have a mutation, their father must carry it. Females get their W chromosome, the one that can be mutated, from their father. Males get one W chromosome from their father and one from their mother. This is how I know that the lutino is female. As females cannot be split to sex-linked mutations and the mother obviously is not lutino, the only place that the chick could have gotten a lutino mutated chromosome is from her father. Since it is possible for her to get only one lutino chromosome and is visible for it, she must be female. Inversely, the father must be split to lutino because it showed up in his daughter. There is no other way she could've gotten it. All of this also applies to the pearl chick. The difference is that the mother is pearl. If the chick is female, she got the pearl chromosome from her father. If it is male, he still got one from his father, but he also got one from his mother. This is why the pearl chick can be male or female.

The grey chick must be male because he is visible for neither lutino or pearl. One of the father's chromosomes is mutated for lutino while the other is mutated for pearl. It is impossible for him to have lutino and pearl on the same chromosome because then they would always show up together, which obviously is not the case. This means that the chick must have gotten either the lutino or the pearl mutation on one of his W chromosomes. If he was female, that would mean he is visible for one of those mutations. However, he obviously is not. I can tell you that he is split to pearl and lutino because he is not pearl. He had to get a pearl chromosome from his mother. If he had gotten one from his father as well, he would be pearl. Ergo, he must have gotten the lutino chromosome from his father.

Pied is a much easier mutation to explain. It is just a recessive gene. This means that a chick must get the gene from both their mother and father in order for it to be visible. Because one chick is visually pied, this means he must have gotten a gene for it from the father, who is therefore split to pied. Any gender can be split to pied. Since the mother is visibly pied, that means she passed the pied gene onto all of her chicks, which means the chicks that are not pied must be split to pied.

I'm sorry if that was really boring and confusing! I know I repeated myself a lot but I was trying to make it as clear as possible. I hope you understand! Please feel free to ask questions if you are confused.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is great! I am going to see them tomorrow, I know that one is Lutino as it has the eyes of a different color according to the breeder- the other two she thinks at this time maybe a normal grey and a pied pearl. JoJo was a pied pearl also. I will let you know the mutations of the parents when I see them tomorrow. I am thinking of doing the feather DNA also, to be extra sure, as I want a male. What DNA company do you use? I am thinking Avian Biotech in Florida...good idea or not?
Also, about the DNA company, I couldn't tell you which one to use. I've never DNA'd a bird. I just figured it out by looking at their mutations and coloration. It also helps as confirmation that my pair is now laying fertile eggs. :) My third tiel is pearl and she is about 10 months and still has her pearls, so I'm pretty sure she's female. She is also pied which can delay the molting of pearls, but I haven't noticed any change in her pearls, so I'm just gonna stick with my assumption of female unless proven otherwise. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
JoJo has passed, so I am looking at some chicks now. I am sending some feathers in for the baby to do DNA Sexing. JoJo was a male. I am hoping the baby is a male also. The new baby is from the same parents as JoJo.
I doubt I will ever have more than one at a time, just don't want to get into the breeding aspect of it... :)
Oh I'm sorry for your loss, I didn't realise. Hopefully they turn out to be male :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oooh how exciting! :excited: Best of luck with choosing which baby to take home! It's a very hard decision :p

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much~!! I am printing it out to save for my own knowledge- its very interesting, not boring at all. I am not very good at genetics, but I am going to study it more now, it will be helpful as I will always have a cockatiel ;)

I was sad about the fourth baby too... they are so sweet as chicks. So tiny and cute. I am really hoping its a male, as I have already fallen in love.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oooh how exciting! :excited: Best of luck with choosing which baby to take home! It's a very hard decision :p
Thank you! I have fallen in love with a pearl-pied chick :pearl:, and I am really hoping its a male. I have already pulled some feathers to send for a DNA sexing to make sure, so cross your fingers!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just out of curiosity, why do you want a male so badly?
JoJo was a male, and I just love all the chatter and talk, along with the songs he whistled. A female isn't likely to do that. I had a male keet also, and he was the same way- talking and singing all the time. I am just hoping to have all that noise again- along with all the lovies.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha! Well, it sounds like you've got your heart set. :) When will you find out the results of the DNA test?
I just got the DNA kit today so I will send it off Monday. Once they get it (should take 2-3 days) they email me with the results within 24-48 hours. Then they send the certificate by mail. Fast turnaround is good :yes: !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts