Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new owner of a cute little cockatiel. She's just about three months old and I've had her for about two weeks now. There is so much to learn but I'm eager! I have so many questions though!

Is it normal for her to be territorial of me? Is it normal for her to sit on me and not want to go in her cage? she nips at my fingers if I try to move her. She's scared of everything but very sassy, is there anything i can do to ease her nerves? She's a very fussy eater, she only wants seeds and millet. She won't touch her greens, fruit, pellets etc. How can I get her to eat a more varied diet?

that's all for now, got lots of questions but these are the top ones. thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
new owner

Welcome and congrats on your new little friend! Yes, it is normal for them to want to stay with you. She is very young, so she might be scared of a lot of things. Spending a lot of time with her is a good way to make her comfortable. It can be hard to get them to eat other things. One little trick I learned is to cut up the little "balls" on broccoli crowns and put them in her seed dish. They look kind of like seeds and she may try nibbling them. Also, cut up some veggies and fruit and put them on something flat like a tray and let her walk around on it. She may be curious enough to try a taste.
This is a great place to learn; lots of very knowledgeable people! I am sure you will get some other ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My guy didn't like veggies at all until I put a cob of cooked corn between the bars of his cage. He started with that and over time he has come to like many different kinds. Keep trying. It takes a long while but he is just a baby.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so good to know it's a process...I thought maybe I was doing something wrong...I'll keep giving her options and hope she'll take something...now if I could only get her to stop biting me when I try to put her in her cage!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts