Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just thought this would be an interesting post for everyone, (sorry if there's a similar post already, I'm still new).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, since no one's posted yet, I guess I'll go first.

I met Sweety, my only cockatiel, when I was 16. I had just recently gotten over the grief of my pet rabbit's death and was ready to get myself a puppy! The deal was: after I went on vacation with my family to Pigeon Forge TN, I'd check out some local pounds. My cousin recommended that we'd check out this place called "Parrot Mountian" (which I totally recommend too, check it out!) while in Tennessee. Toward the end of the Parrot Mountian program, you can walk into the nursery, where you can see and take home little baby parrots. Inside I saw a lot of chicks, but there was this one bird that stood out to me. He was the only yellow cockatiel, there were about 10 in a large bin together, and he sat away from the rest all by himself. My mother walked over to him, and held out her finger for him to climb up (my mother refused to let any other birds touch her) and he cautiously stepped up. My mother looked at him for a while and said to me, "Kristie, look at this one." I had him climb onto my finger and we just stared at each other. I couldn't look away from him for so long, and I knew I couldn't leave without him. He was actually not for sale yet, but I was able to convince the worker to teach me how to hand feed him myself with the syringe.

And that's it, sorry the story's so long. I've had Sweety for about four years now.

and no, I didn't get a puppy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm glad you found your Sweety and that you chose each other!

I've been wanting a bird for a very long time. A couple of months ago I started looking at budgie breeders, but then I found out that the owner didn't want Tweets anymore and I brought him home.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went to a shelter expecting to get a budgie as a companion to my parrotlet. It was overwhelming the number of birds they had. Dozens of doves. A few conures. And about 100 budgies. 100! Animal control had two hording interventions with days of each other that totaled 75 birds. Flocks out of control, in breeding, etc. There were also a couple birds in the back.
I'm a sucker for a hard luck case. I had my eye on a young budgie that lost a foot due to fighting.
However the shelter volunteer also had two birds in the back. A lovebird that lost her mate & was cage bound for several years cause the owners were afraid of bites.
And the the was a cockatiel. Age & past unknown. He was found in a parking lot. At some point in his past he broke a wing & it didn't heal right. He can fly but doesn't want/like to. He was friendly.

So I left undecided between the untame one-foot budgie, the lonely cage-bound love bird, or the broken wing cockatiel. A tough choice I didn't know which to bring home.
The next day my husband & I went back for Dexter.
We've both bonded with him in different ways. I'm the teacher/pain-in-the-crop guy. Jack is the hang out buddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you found your Sweety and that you chose each other!

I've been wanting a bird for a very long time. A couple of months ago I started looking at budgie breeders, but then I found out that the owner didn't want Tweets anymore and I brought him home.
Aww, poor Tweets (that's such an adorable name!) I'm glad he went to a family that wants and loves him

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to a shelter expecting to get a budgie as a companion to my parrotlet. It was overwhelming the number of birds they had. Dozens of doves. A few conures. And about 100 budgies. 100! Animal control had two hording interventions with days of each other that totaled 75 birds. Flocks out of control, in breeding, etc. There were also a couple birds in the back.
I'm a sucker for a hard luck case. I had my eye on a young budgie that lost a foot due to fighting.
However the shelter volunteer also had two birds in the back. A lovebird that lost her mate & was cage bound for several years cause the owners were afraid of bites.
And the the was a cockatiel. Age & past unknown. He was found in a parking lot. At some point in his past he broke a wing & it didn't heal right. He can fly but doesn't want/like to. He was friendly.

So I left undecided between the untame one-foot budgie, the lonely cage-bound love bird, or the broken wing cockatiel. A tough choice I didn't know which to bring home.
The next day my husband & I went back for Dexter.
We've both bonded with him in different ways. I'm the teacher/pain-in-the-crop guy. Jack is the hang out buddy.
Oh man, that sounds like such a tough decision, but I'm sure you feel that you made the right choice. It's good that you're the strict parent for Dexter and I'm sure he loves you just as much as he loves Jack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
while on youtube, i saw video of a singing cockatiel and just thought he was the cutest thing ever and said i would like to get one.

A month later during a visit to a small petshop i saw two tamed tiel for sale, one was 5 month old named Xena a pearl grey and so named cause she is feisty and gave the breeder many bites while taming and the other a year old zeko a lutino pearl i think which i just loved gender is not known.

having many canaries at home and no more space to add more birds or cages, also not sure if i am going to remain in the country or not, i took my mum with me to the petshop as she might end up taking care of them and she picked Xena. (i have to say i played a dirty trick and made my mum watch some youtube clips of cockatiels so she would love them and agree to the deal :) and it worked )
i would have prefered a male, but who knows maybe in the future hehe. right now i love my xena, and yesterday she allowed me to give her a head scratch for the first time.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I went to the breeder, she opened the cage, and this little guy came out, jumped on my arm and started pulling threads from my jumper. Then I knew I had no choice but to be his mum. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Both times at the same breeder I just saw and picked them straight away. Sam was the little one eating seeds away from her siblings and she was just so beautiful and her eyes! oh my <3 love at first sight! Blizzard, we knew we were getting a whiteface and there were so many that time! There were about 3 whitefaces and I just saw him straight away.

I dunno how to explain it, we just click(?) Same happened when we got Humbug, Rodderick, Speckle, Woogie and Danny! It's not an impulse purchase because when we get pets we're actually looking for a new member of our family, but when we see the right one we just know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Originally, years ago I had 5 guinea pigs, all one family! Mum, dad and 3 babies, over the years I slowly lost them, one by one until a few weeks ago one of the two sisters passed away and I was just left with Millie, I wanted to get another pet sooner rather than later so that when she goes, I won't be totally alone..

My first decision was to get a cat, I did a lot of research and found a nice rescue I was happy to adopt from until my landlord decided that they will no longer accept pets...

I already have guinea pigs in my lease, so I thought eh, birds are close enough... I've had cockatiels before... but would you believe, I couldn't find a breeder, petshop or even a shelter within accessible distance to where I live, I looked everywhere but all I could find was budgies... Eventually I found a single pet store about 30 minutes away (a long way when you can't drive)

I headed up there and immediately saw Sammie, he was in a cage with 3 others, 2 had blocked noses and the other was super active and playful, Sammie though just took my heart, he was so stunning I had to have him!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My roommate at the time had been talking about getting a pet bird for awhile and I was totally against having an animal in the apartment. One day he came home from with a shoe box with holes poked in it.:mad: he laid the box down and took the lid off. Out jumped this little cockatiel that he got from a flea market!I was upset about it; but as you can see he ended up becoming my bird when the roomy moved out.

:grey tiel:

·
Registered
89 Posts
We decided to get the kids birds for their Christmas presents. Each kid got their own bird. Well, they are like 1/2 the kid and 1/2 mine :)

I found local breeder, but there was power failure at her home over the Thanksgiving holiday and she lost a lot of her birds including 3 of my 4 babies. I located another breeder out of state near where my family is. She had babies that would be ready right after the Holiday so I made arrangements to purchase 4 of them. Since she was out of state I couldn't visit them during weaning process like I was doing with the others, but she sent me updates and photos every week. Once all of them were weaned my husband drove over 3 hours to pick them up. I'm still in contact with her and email her every so often to let her know how they are doing, new photos and such.

I went to the breeder, she opened the cage, and this little guy came out, jumped on my arm and started pulling threads from my jumper. Then I knew I had no choice but to be his mum. :)

That's about how it was with my male P'let M'éanín. I went to her house, she let him and his siblings out to fly around, he landed on me and immediately became my little blue glue stick. My female P'let Marthanóir was brought to my attention by a local shelter who had already adopted her out twice, both owners wanting to return her. Someone there knew that I had birds and that I had a P'let so they emailed me to see if I was interested in her rather than her current owner returning her to the shelter and her having to go through their entire process again. I wasn't sure but I agreed to go see her. I knew within a few seconds of seeing her, her current conditions and how scared she was that she was coming home with me. One of the best decisions I made and after a few months she bonded with my male and they are now inseparable.

Having gotten my birds through different methods I can honestly say that I won't get any "sight unseen" again. It's not that anything is wrong with it, I don't regret my decision but I do see a difference in the birds behaviors. I think the birds choose us as much as we choose them, so from now on I'm looking at shelters or local breeders where I can spend time with the bird before bringing home.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
What a great thread idea!

Maverick: I'd had budgies in the past, but I wanted a bird again and cockatiels intrigued me. Their personalities, so many mutations, everything! So I came to the forum to research further. I saved up enough for the tiel, and a contingency fund in case of emergency. Then I saw an ad for a semi tame male on Craigslist. Beautiful boy! I'd always loved pieds.
I contacted the owner and went to meet him. He was frightened and skittish, but he settled down after a few minutes and began singing to her hand. XD Turns out she was his third home (and he was only 1 1/2 years old!) - who knows why he was rehomed so many times. She was rehoming himbbecause of her daughter's allergies.
Anyway, I fell in love and brought him home. He was a little cage aggressive, but that wasn't much of an issue. He wasn't too crazy about women, loved my Dad, and was beginning to warm up to me. He brought so much joy and laughter into my life. He never failed to get us laughing with his clowning and singing! My first YouTube videos consist of many MANY clips of him.
We spent nearly 7 months together. He passed away unexpectedly and without warning on November 3rd. :( He was so young and full of life. I still miss him dearly.

Missy: After losing my Mavvy Boy, I wasn't looking for another bird and, honestly? I wasn't sure I wanted another. It hurts so much losing them. <\3 They're such dear sweet souls, I couldn't bear the thought of going through that again.
But on November 27th, before leaving for an early Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt's, I happened across an 8 year old female WF on the humane society's website. I showed my Dad before we left. Then at my aunt's, he brought it up on his phone, showed my Mom, and she INSISTED we go see her. My Aunt seconded the motion and shooed us off. Everyone knew the shelter never keeps birds long.
Enter Missy. :love: Can I say: "Love at first sight"? They told me it was the quickest adoption they'd ever had of a bird. She'd been there a week. When I left her to go sign the papers, I could hear wolf whistling for me to come back. :love:
Missy is a very cuddly sweet bird <3 She's helped me so much emotionally.

·
Registered
883 Posts
great question! I met mine through a friend that breeds, she is into breeding and showing to quite an extent! And also from a bird specialty store, although I prefer to deal directly through the breeder because I can also see the hen and cock.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I got Bird from a local pet store, the tiels were all hand raised by a family in the neighborhood and were so incredibly sweet. We walked in and he was flying around the ceiling, sending all the workers into a panic trying to catch him. Soon as he was on my hand, he was a sweetheart. I fell for the attitude.

Rhea I found on Craigslist with her mate Atlas, he ended up escaping in February and we're still hoping he turns up somewhere. Rhea is completely untouchable but I don't mind, she has a happy life and doesn't have to deal with me bugging her, unless shes standing on the food dish I'm trying to fill.

Tink came to us because I thought I was picking up Atlas and it turned out to be his near twin, and the woman wasn't a bird person so i got his cage and a ton of stuff for free just for giving him a home.

Then finally, Asher and Nyx I found on Craigslist a few months ago and reserved for a few weeks as their clutch was growing up, and took them home after. They're another wild pair but haven't mated or shown interest in breeding since they've come home with me, and thats more than fine. I got them to give them an actual home, not just a tiny breeding cage with no toys. They seem to be enjoying themselves so far :) They come off quarantine in a about a week and can join the rest of the flock then.

So cool to see how many different ways people have picked their birds, or had their birds pick them. I love all the stories.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I live in a farming town in South Georgia, there is literally NOTHING near us within a few hundred miles and no bird breeders either, so I chose to get my cockatiel from a place in North Georgia because my best friends live up there and I am familiar with the area. I knew up a pet store up there that has the most friendly birds I have ever seen in all my life so that is the place I thought of. But then my friend suggested this other place where his mom had bought a lovebird from the previous summer when I was up there visiting. And that is where I ended up getting my cockatiel because the petstore owner cut a deal with me, she took my crested geckos and their terrariums in trade for $200 worth of store credit :)

I chose Tiki not only because I wanted a lutino but also because he was the only lutino that showed interest in my hand. He was very curious about it and even came close enough to nibble my fingers and peck at my ring. So that is why I picked him. All the other lutinos were hiding in a corner trying to get as far from me as they could get.

We got really lucky with Tiki, he is an amazing bird and me and my husband absolutely adore him :love:

·
Registered
29 Posts
What a great thread idea!!!!

I met my girl Luna (which is apparently not the only Luna here lol) about 6 years ago.

It was the day before my 16th birthday and the animal loving stubborn teenager I was had just passionately convinced my parents to let me buy a bird. So off to the pet store we went to buy a cage and supplies... and lo and behold, in that same store were about 20 cockatiels in a single cage. Sitting on a perch near the front of the cage was this pretty little yellow bird with wide curious eyes and heart shaped patches on her cheeks.

She was completely untamed and I found out afterwards that the store we got her from acquired all their birds from bird mills, but I fell in love with this bird whom I called Luna.

It took me years to get her to the point she is now, but it was so worth it. We are inseparable (she is climbing on my hands trying to go for the keys as I type ... mischievous little stinker)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beloved TJ was originally adopted by my elderly mom as a companion pet - which he definitely was to her. :) When she became ill and passed on - TJ needed a new home and he came to live in our household. :) He is quite the doted upon and pampered pet - we love our little guy to pieces. :)

TJ's Family

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was 18 and moved out and couldn't take my cat with me where I was living and I was very sad. So I found a cockatiel baby on craigslist. And then a few months later I found another one on craigslist. Then when I had a baby I didn't have time for them as much as I used to, so I tried to rehome them. Someone took my first bird, but no one wanted my other one, so she is still with me. And then I felt bad because she seemed lonely now, so I got another from craigslist (my old bird already bonded with a mate at her new home). And my son is old enough to help out with the birds now, so we're all good. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd had three budgies since I was little, and they died of suspected psittacosis. A few months afterwards I decided I was getting too lonely and I started looking for birds in shelters and sanctuarys nearby. There was a woman on the other side of my town who had an aviary full of birds no one had wanted and she was constantly trying to rehome them.
I was looking for a male ideally but I saw Biscotti and she came and clung to the wire near my face and I fed her some millet when I visited her for the first time and an hour later she was sitting in a box in my car.

I got Galileo six months later from the same woman when Biscotti began plucking and she stopped plucking after about two weeks of being with Galileo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts