Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a Prevue Hendrix cage (link below) that I am wanting to "renovate" since I just bought some new toys and perches.

http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Produc...id=1432135305&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=birg+cage

I have a natural wood 18" perch already going between the food and water dish to the other side of the cage (replaced the wooden dowel rod) that I would like to keep there. I currently have a small 6" cement type perch at the top back right of the cage, and another slightly bigger cement perch at the top left (he sleeps here).

I have a new 14" Booda comfy perch (the colored rope looking ones) coming tomorrow, as well as a rope boing corkscrew toy with a bell at the bottom. I am trying to decide how to get an optimal setup to give him plenty to do, but not overcrowded so it's hard for him to get around lol.

I am thinking about taking one or both of the cement perches out and just making an L-shaped perch with the 14" Booda rope perch to replace them. For the Boing rope toy, I am struggling. It will need to be centralized I would think (since it's a bigger toy) but not sure if it would be in the way of the 18" wood perch in the middle of the cage.

Anyways, I know this isn't going to be too clear to understand, but if you all have any ideas please share!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with my cage!! Its over a metre and half tall (because of their desire to climb) but on a couple of foot wide. I tend to find mine prefer to be at the top, so most of there stuff is up there. They really like the swing, so that takes up most of the middle area (and i have four cockatiels in here!)
Could you not put the 'boing rope' near one of the sides? If its purpose isnt necessarily to swing, they could still climb it where ever you put it? As for the pirches, just work round the big things as your centre piece maybe? I have quite a lot of pirches both inside and on the outside of the cage and they like climbing from one to the others, especially the rope ones.

Sorry if this is completely unhelpful - I'm totally with you on this one, who'd have thought setting up a bird cage would be such a taxing task! Good luck :) x

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I have the same problem with my cage!! Its over a metre and half tall (because of their desire to climb) but on a couple of foot wide. I tend to find mine prefer to be at the top, so most of there stuff is up there. They really like the swing, so that takes up most of the middle area (and i have four cockatiels in here!)
Could you not put the 'boing rope' near one of the sides? If its purpose isnt necessarily to swing, they could still climb it where ever you put it? As for the pirches, just work round the big things as your centre piece maybe? I have quite a lot of pirches both inside and on the outside of the cage and they like climbing from one to the others, especially the rope ones.

Sorry if this is completely unhelpful - I'm totally with you on this one, who'd have thought setting up a bird cage would be such a taxing task! Good luck :) x
Birds feel safer at the top of the cage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I subscribed to this thread because I need a new cage and was looking at this very one.

I need help and advice of a new cage that is relatively inexpensive!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It is hard to organize a cage like that because birds will usually go to the top...and the horizontal space is so limited it really only allows for one or two perches. Sorry, I know that isn't helpful, but I hope you find a layout you're happy with!

Sharmon, I would not buy a cage like that one if you're shopping around....wider is much much better than taller. Bird use horizontal space to move around much more than vertical space. I'd go for something like this: http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Small_Bird_Cages/PA5719

·
Registered
31 Posts
AWESOME advice and thanks so very much Moonchild!

These are things as a new bird mommy I hadn't thought of!

I really like this one.!

Time to start saving my money!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I purchased one very similar to the pali place. It's an A&E flight cage with 1/2" bar spacing and it is wonderful. The cage is very easy to fill and gives a lot space at the top area for all kinds of perches. I love mine and I think you'll like something like this too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the information. I rearranged the current one and am somewhat happy with it. That pali place cage does look awesome though. I'm considering ordering it since it's apparently on a memorial day sale :) I think Percy might be spoiled...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I am stuck between 2 cages...

The Pali Place listed earlier:

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Flight-Cages/PA5719

Or the Prevue F040 flight cage:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_r=0JW64FV3DGYW51AFWQ8H&tag=viglink26357-20

The Prevue has more inside space, but once again I am not sure if Percy would utilize that extra space at the bottom. The Pali Place has the taller stand so he may feel safer at the bottom of the cage, since it is higher off the ground still? I dunno, birds are weird! Decision time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts