Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I see a bunny's face (the M being the eyes). There is also a spot that resembles a nose, and then two spots that resemble a bunny's cheeks.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Maybe, but the eyes (the "M") are the typical eyes of bunnies in cartoons.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Haha, cute!! :D

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Bahaha! The "m" looks more like the ears of a bunny to me!

·
Registered
350 Posts
How adorable! If only all birds did that, life would be a lot simpler :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, Kirby looks just like my cockatiel, Scooter. Or Kooky, as my husband likes to call him...if the name fits! So of course, he's beautiful! I accidentally had my first clutch this past december (long story). I have read so many different ways to tell whether you have a male or female, i wasn't sure what to believe. But one thing I'd always heard was that with females you'll find spots under the wings (they were grey) and with males you'll find stripes (he was pied) so it's possible to sex them in this way with these colors. I think pied and lutino you can't use this method? Anyway, i didn't really believe it. Until I had my clutch, we had 3 by the way. The two grays did indeed have spots under the wings. They were more independent, didn't want to be held or nurtured or particularly crave human attention, even though they certainly were tame and not at all afraid of me. But my gorgeous little pied cockatiel was very much a baby. Wanted to be held all of the time. Just completely different behavior. He was much more vocal, much more affectionate, much more adventurous and curious. I've never had them sexed, but I don't have much doubt that the greys were female and the pied is male. Needless to say, I kept my gorgeous little bandit. And he's a sissy, for sure. But he loves me :) My male pied is much more social than the rest of my birds because the breeder hand fed him from the beginning. I would supplement feedings when i felt the parents needed a break. Hand feeding all the time made a huge difference, but still I wouldn't give my little Bandit up for anything in the world. I got off topic there, just wondering if anyone knows that this is in fact one way to tell the sex with these colors. I hope I don't find that one day my little Bandit (well, i call him banana because he looks like one) is really a she. He most definitely displays male behavior, and I dont really think i need to have him sexed. Behavior alone should be good indicators, they were so obvious that I"m pretty certain.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Behavior alone should be good indicators, they were so obvious that I"m pretty certain.
That's generally how I've always sexed mine. Pieds can't be sexed visually in the first place, as most tend to keep their spots a lot longer. All babies look like females to start off with. Usually the first molt causes them to start looking like males if they are male, but pied does weird things and they don't always look male after the first molt. Fuzzy, my male pearl, was only split to pied and he maintained most of his pearls for three molts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts