Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, lately I have seen many posts regarding that their cockatiel doesn't know how to mate(only putting one foot on the hen) and their eggs came out infertile, if a cockatiel doesn't know how to mate how can you teach them besides for them to look at other tiels because some people don't have mating tiels to show that cockatiel that doesn't know how to mate

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine figured it out pretty quick....from the time I brought my male home three weeks to bond mate and lay eggs.....I think when they are ready they just know...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Some just can't figure it out. I had one male who had to learn by watching and then the first time all he did was stand on her back til she moved (then he fell off lol). I think you can find videos of it on youtube and show it to the birds but other than that, its just nature. Some birds just don't have what it takes I guess...OR are just really clueless.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some just can't figure it out. I had one male who had to learn by watching and then the first time all he did was stand on her back til she moved (then he fell off lol). I think you can find videos of it on youtube and show it to the birds but other than that, its just nature. Some birds just don't have what it takes I guess...OR are just really clueless.
Lol...which cockatiel was that?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Mudflap...he was 8 months old at the time and had been watching Fuzzy and Snowball mate with their girls. Nips really wanted Snowball and would present to him all the time but he would just ignore her and run away. So while she was presenting to him one night, Mudflap took the opportunity and climbed on up.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
So while she was presenting to him one night, Mudflap took the opportunity and climbed on up.
Haha, he's an opportunist!

It took Smokey a few attempts to figure it out with Echo. There was much falling over and feather flapping followed by looking unjustifiably proud of himself, bless him. Echo is pretty inventive when it comes to running away from him though, I think Smokey's given up for now (phew).

·
Registered
192 Posts
It can be due to perches which is not strongly fixed or some other things.in real every bird mate .its nature which god made.you don't have to show anything to make them mate

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It can be due to perches which is not strongly fixed or some other things.in real every bird mate .its nature which god made.you don't have to show anything to make them mate
That's not true...birds learn by watching other birds. So if they don't have anyone around to show them properly, they'll end up mating with the wrong part of the body because they don't understand. Birds don't actually realize that mating makes babies, they do it because they're stimulated and it feels good. I only had one male who figured it out on his own and then he showed everyone else what to do.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
in real every bird mate .its nature which god made.you don't have to show anything to make them mate
Not every wild animal is a good parent, and it's even more complicated with captive birds. Their "early childhood" experience is different than what wild birds get, and this is especially true of handfed babies that are taken from their parents at an early age and socialized with humans. They don't get to observe the full breeding process from mating to weaning, and when it's their turn to breed their natural instincts may or may not be fully developed enough for them to succeed at it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hahaha then I have no idea how Fred learned how to mate! I guess it was trial and error in the beginning, but he's got it down pretty well now :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts