Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a new cockatiel owner. I have had my church for about a week. I see many people that have cockatiels that are extremely lovable and cuddle with their owners. I want to achieve that. I just don't know how to. My little guy never wants to be in his cage. He always flies out to hang out at my parakeets large cage. He doesn't even want to interact with them. When they try and get close to him he pushes them away. My church still runs away from my hand sometimes. He will eat millet from my hand with no problem at all. Sometimes he will perch on my finger or sit on my shoulder. But if I move at all he will fly away back to my parakeets cage. How can I get him to want to hang out with me all the time?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just give him time to relax and settle in to his new space before you ask him to interact much with you, he's going to need AT LEAST another week if not more to be settled and then you can BEGIN the bonding process, don't expect him to like you just because you want him to. You have to earn it, birds are much like cat's in that respect.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It's all going to be on his terms. He'll warm up to you and want to spend time with you eventually, but there's really no way to speed up this process. It sounds like you've come a very long way with him in just a week, so keep doing what you're doing and he'll come around eventually.

Also, don't get too hung up on wanting him to be with you all the time. Having a velcro bird isn't as fun as it sounds. You want him to reach the point where he's happy to hang out with you if he feels like it, but also happy to go off and do his own thing.

I find food a useful tool to help with bonding. Find things he really likes and offer them to him when he's with you. When I first started taming my rainbow lorikeet, I kept a small syringe (no needle) of apple juice with me (replaced it every so often so it didn't spoil) and every time Oscar made an effort to come over to me, he'd get a little squirt of apple juice (his favourite treat). Eventually he started coming over and staying with me without receiving a treat.

It all takes time and you will get there with him, just be patient :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts