Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I teach Rocko to stay on my hand while walking down the stairs because he takes off and either lands on the door or on top of Tikos cage and I want him to stay on my hand while going down the stairs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Keep scratching his head while you walk down the stairs - distraction. He should want to stay on you. If he does fly off a 'bah' works which is what I use. They are so intelligent they know if you are not happy with their actions with just a noise.

My birds stay on me always - one on either shoulder - where ever I go in the house. I didn't really train them to do it, they just do it. I do talk to them non stop. My male Ringo picks up so many words and noises and songs it's like he is studying me. My girl Lucy is just a big sook and would stay on me 24/7.

Maybe put him on your shoulder instead of your hand. He might feel unstable on your hand while you go down stairs so put him on your shoulder instead. That's where I have my two tiels if I'm moving around the house. They know it's their 'safe' place so you need to make Rocko feel secure.

Remember parrots know how we are feeling, they sense what we are thinking and our mood.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep scratching his head while you walk down the stairs - distraction. He should want to stay on you. If he does fly off a 'bah' works which is what I use. They are so intelligent they know if you are not happy with their actions with just a noise.

My birds stay on me always - one on either shoulder - where ever I go in the house. I didn't really train them to do it, they just do it. I do talk to them non stop. My male Ringo picks up so many words and noises and songs it's like he is studying me. My girl Lucy is just a big sook and would stay on me 24/7.

Maybe put him on your shoulder instead of your hand. He might feel unstable on your hand while you go down stairs so put him on your shoulder instead. That's where I have my two tiels if I'm moving around the house. They know it's their 'safe' place so you need to make Rocko feel secure.

Remember parrots know how we are feeling, they sense what we are thinking and our mood.
I dont really like him on my shoulder because of poops and he even knows how to fly back up the stairs into my room and into his cage and he goes back upstairs too sometimes when I want to bring him down.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I dont really like him on my shoulder because of poops and he even knows how to fly back up the stairs into my room and into his cage and he goes back upstairs too sometimes when I want to bring him down.
He should want to stay on you unless scared. You need to comfort him, make him feel safe like your body is the safest place to be.

You have 3 birds right - two cockatiels and one African grey? I've never had an African grey but I know they are highly intelligent. I've had white cockatoos, red tailed black cockatoos, galah, long billed corrella. Bascially all of them I was able to train. First time owning cockatiels but finding the same training works.

Teaching them to NOT poop on you is a great achievement. To stay on you is good too. As I said feed him treats while walking down the stairs saying 'good boy' with really positive energy. Words mean nothing to them without the feeling behind them. They can sense our moods - our fears - our anger - our joy. Trust me - they can.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He should want to stay on you unless scared. You need to comfort him, make him feel safe like your body is the safest place to be.

You have 3 birds right - two cockatiels and one African grey? I've never had an African grey but I know they are highly intelligent. I've had white cockatoos, red tailed black cockatoos, galah, long billed corrella. Bascially all of them I was able to train. First time owning cockatiels but finding the same training works.

Teaching them to NOT poop on you is a great achievement. To stay on you is good too. As I said feed him treats while walking down the stairs saying 'good boy' with really positive energy. Words mean nothing to them without the feeling behind them. They can sense our moods - our fears - our anger - our joy. Trust me - they can.
If I bring him downstairs with loki on my hand too he dosent fly maybe he just wants to be with Loki

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's likely.
They also call each other when im outside with Rocko I brought Loki outside today because Rockos harness fits Loki now and he enjoyed it he dosent even bite the harness he will have his own soon.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's typical flock bird behavior.
My sisters friend has a cockatiel and shes gonna harness train it and shes always around at my house and she plays with Rocko and Loki sometimes lets say she came to my house with her cockatiel on his harness could Rocko or Loki get sick even if her Cockatiel went for a vet check up to make sure he was healthy.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, there's always a risk. Especially since many avian illnesses are very hard to detect.
Could they even get sick if theyre in the same area outside.Also what about the parrots in youtube videos that are out together like Michael sahzin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts