Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Chibi was always a feather picker since I got her. I thought it was because of weather change, molting issues. However it seems that she doesn't stop plucking and chewing her feathers. Also everyday I found her feathers at the bottom of the cage. Some has small traces of dried blood in it.

In the attachments first one is from June, and the other 2 is from today. You can see how bald her body got under the wings.

I thought its because of her stress since I am not around between 9am - 6.30pm. Thus I gave it to my friend around July, who has a male cockatiel. His mother is also at home during the day, which meant someone could show affection to her during the day. Two cockatiels started to live together after 1 month of separate adaptation after July. However they don't seem to get on well. Chibi hisses Tobi, even if he wanted to be friends and after 2 months he started to hiss as well. I took them back from my friend. Tobi doesn't seem to care, he is a healthy happy active cockatiel. However Chibi doesn't stop picking and chewing.

Chibi is presumably female :cinnamon pearl:

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like mites on that last pick with the feathers.

You can take a closer look yourself of her wing feathers. Mites look like dirt along the grain of the feather. Particularly new feathers will have more since they like to drink the blood there, which is irritating and painful for the bird. If you keep her still and watch you may see something move, but they are tiny.
Go to an avian vet and they'll check under a microscope, give you treatment.

Just note though, I've also dealt with mites. My male chewed his feathers and broke blood feathers. First round of treatment, I wasn't thorough enough in cleaning the cage and around the cage, so they came back. Second treatment I cleaned and disinfected the cage and surrounding area every 3 days for the duration of treatment which I think was 6 weeks.
By this point though it was a habit. Even with the mites gone he continued.
He went on for a while, had to keep an eye on him during preening and stop him when we heard squeaks of pain lest he break a blood feather again. Eventually he gradually stopped.
Currently have a UV light he enjoys. There's also a spray you can buy. Don't know how well it works though. But this is if she continues after mite treatment or if it happens to not be mites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't be sure if the black parts on the feathers are dried blood or mites. Someone said that if she is moving a lot during night (check the poops at the bottom of the cage), its mostly mites. I checked but it seems like she stays in 4 fingers' width area.

The vet used 1 drop of med on her neck for outer parazite, its been 15 days. I am using Andazol and Sitrax (each 1cc in 1lt water) for a week for inner parazite. I disinfected the cage with APV and spraying her with feather spray for moisture. Also sometimes have her take apv and water bath, which she leaves quickly. As you said, she has a habit of picking, and since I am not at home for 9 hours a day, she may be getting stressed. When I am around I always try to stop her, and she gets mad everytime I disturb her :D

I will try UV light, since its winter here and she doesn't see enough sun. Should I also put aloe vera under her wings? I have also thought about using a spray like "bitter beak" but I don't want to hurt her, it may go in to her eyes or under skin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts