Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some advice about heating. I have laminate floor and gets pretty cold in the winter (I live in the west coast of Scotland). I bought Sunny a cozy parrot cover but he's in a big cage and I leave a little bit of the cage uncovered in case he has a night fright.

I was thinking of getting ordering a heated perch from the US on Amazon.com (for some reason you can't get them in the UK) but would it be dangerous to put the cover over the top of it? Also I was thinking of getting a bird lamp to get him his UV rays during the day, when I put the lamp should the heated perch be switched off?

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brandon. I read a few reviews on Amazon that were quite horrific and I know Northern Parrots sell hoodies. Is it easy to get your bird in it?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a full spectrum lamp from Arcadia, but the lamp won't keep him warm. It's purely for the rays, which allow them to absorb vitamin A.

Is it possible to heat the room rather than buy a heated perch? Just a suggestion...I don't know anything about heated perches or how safe they are with or without a cover. I'm not sure how reliable it would be in keeping him a nice even temperature. Maybe someone else can offer thoughts.

My flat is in a building from the 1830s, and it has original floorboards and sash windows - no carpets and no double glazing! So I keep the thermostat on all the time. In case of emergency, though, I do have an oil filled radiator. They use quite a bit of electricity and they should only ever be plugged into the wall (not an extension) but most are safe and do a good job. You could look into that, maybe leave it on a low heat overnight? Murray also has a blanket to keep out drafts with one side uncovered just like Sunny :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Charlotte I wasn't sure if the lamps actually provided heat. I have been leaving the heating on the thermostat on. Northern Parrots actually have a good selection of hideaways. Sorry Brandon that's what you though you meant :) I'm got him a parrot perch tent and a fleece bird blanket. Hopefully I can persuade him to use them. I also bought a blanket to go on top of the cover, so he should be nice and cozy. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry to keep going on about this. But I just read the thread about hammocks not being safe. Is the same true for tents? This one said it was suitable for long-tailed parrots including cockatiels and didn't have the same warning about taking them away in case they get hormonal. His claws would be on the perch. Here's a link to the two products:
Tent
Blanket

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
414 Posts
From what I have read and experienced, tiels don't really take to tents and stuff. I never had any luck giving them to Sammy and Pickles. I've heard of people using lights to keep a bird warm but you have to turn the light off eventually so the warmth is lost. If I were you, I would invest in a small room heater and just keep the room warm that way.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Thanks Brandon. I read a few reviews on Amazon that were quite horrific and I know Northern Parrots sell hoodies. Is it easy to get your bird in it?
It goes on the same as the flightsuit does I never knew northern parrots sells hoodies I got mine from Avian fashions.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've never used a tent or a hammock - I know someone whose caiques love them, but I also know that there are some horror stories around :/

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sorry to keep going on about this. But I just read the thread about hammocks not being safe. Is the same true for tents? This one said it was suitable for long-tailed parrots including cockatiels and didn't have the same warning about taking them away in case they get hormonal. His claws would be on the perch. Here's a link to the two products:
Yes it's true. I don't recommend them more for the breeding and hormonal issues they cause. Tiels tend to turn them into nests and get very aggressive over them. Tiels make their nests in holes in trees so anything that resembles that can cause an issue.

Honestly, as long as it's not a large drop in temp, your bird will be fine. Tiels adjust very well. Keep the house at a decent temp, above 72 is good and you both should be OK.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I've bought an extra blanket for on top of the cage. Hopefully with the thermostat it will be okay :). Brandon - sorry Northern Parrots don't sell hoodies, I got them confused with hideaways. Really grateful for all the good advice :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was coming on to ask the same question!

We can't hear our entire house when we leave for work for the day, but want to keep our baby warm and healthy.
We got him a heated perch last year but he developed pressure sores from it because he didn't want to get off of it.
I haven't been able to find a room heater you can leave on while not being there, so I'm stuck too!
If I figure anything out, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it is more about what they are used to. My finches are outside in frosty weather and a relative has tiels outside also. You can't put them out unless they are acclimatized slowly, so I can't see a problem with indoor temperatures.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have a DeLonghi oil column heater for when it gets cold. It's the safest type of heater for birds and works really well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts