Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a hamster breeder and I know that for all animals nutrition is very important. My boyfriend has a cockatiel and she's been on pets at home cockatiel mix her whole life, and has only ever been introduced vegetables since I came into her life over 3 years ago. She only eats the millet and sunflower seeds out of her mix, so I'm worried that she isn't getting all the nutrition she needs.

Mr weeb will only eat spinach, I have tried banana, apple, broccoli and sweet potato with her but she seems a bit scared of it. (Only just recently found out she's a girl, haha!)

What seed mix is best (UK)? Also, what are the best ways I can try get her to eat vegetables? She has a beak problem and gets it trimmed regularly, but it doesn't align properly so it grows up one side, and the top beak grows quite long. I know that this can be a vitamin deficiency, so I want to try encourage her to eat her veggies!

Is too much spinach bad? She absolutely loves it. gets 1 leaf about once a week. How much should we be giving her? and how often? I will try sprouted greens with her at some point. She gets millet sprays quite regularly and she has a cuttle bone.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You should try giving her veggies every day. If spinach is all she will eat right now, give it to her. It won't hurt her.

You can try putting the broccoli tops in her seeds and see if she eats it that way. Hanging leafy greens in her cage is also a good trick. I'm not sure of they have nurtriberries in the UK but that's something else to look into.

A long beak can be an indication of a liver problem, so that's just something to be aware of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts