Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every1. one of my female had small crest always looks not good to me :p.
today i plucked her crest how can i grow new crest?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're joking right?
you realize crests are a genetic trait so they'll always grow back in the same length as before, not to mention how cruel it is to pluck a crest. This has to be a troll thread, there's no way someone is this dumb right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bro i didnt plucked all feather i just plucked 3 to 4 feathers they were damaged and broken thats why i pluck them.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
They should be allowed to fall out naturally unless there is some threat of bleeding or potential for injury to the blrd. Plucking them won't make another grow in any longer or make the crest grow back thicker.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They should be allowed to fall out naturally unless there is some threat of bleeding or potential for injury to the blrd. Plucking them won't make another grow in any longer or make the crest grow back thicker.
umm thanks for your compliment buddy i thought if i pluck it will grow better.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
No, that isn't the case with crest feathers. Tiels have all sorts of different crest sizes and shapes. If the feathers were damaged, they will fall out and unless she's still maturing, they will pretty much grow back to the exact same size

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
In the future, please do research before taking action like plucking your bird. People will be happy to answer your questions and help your bird avoid unnecessary suffering.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Plucking the feathers can actually do long-term damage and prevent any feathers from regrowing, if plucked enough times.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said. Also, breeding lutino to lutino might be the cause of short/sparse crests in your case. You need to breed your best lutinos with other mutations to get better results.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
umm thanks for your compliment buddy i thought if i pluck it will grow better.
If she's a lutino, her crest isn't going to grow in any better. Lutinos are known for bald spots and thin crests. Your best bet would be to breed her to a pied male, as pieds are known for very full, nice crests. Plucking any feathers is never a good idea.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Pearls are also going to give you small crests. The amount of inbreeding done to get pearls and lutinos has caused them to not have very nice crests. Pieds are the way to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pearls are also going to give you small crests. The amount of inbreeding done to get pearls and lutinos has caused them to not have very nice crests. Pieds are the way to go.
Bro can you guide me which mutation i bond with lutinos to get good quality of birds.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
As stated previously...pieds or normal greys are what you should be looking for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
why would you pluck your birds feathers??? the only reason you shold ever pluck a feather is if its a danger to your bird like a broken blood feather. otherwise leave them alone! it hurts them and regrowing feathers puts stress on your birds body.

how would you like it if your parents started pulling chinks of your hair out because they didnt like how it looked?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
why would you pluck your birds feathers??? the only reason you shold ever pluck a feather is if its a danger to your bird like a broken blood feather. otherwise leave them alone! it hurts them and regrowing feathers puts stress on your birds body.

how would you like it if your parents started pulling chinks of your hair out because they didnt like how it looked?
For people who don't know much about birds, this tends to be normal practice. Pet stores will pluck out broken tail feathers to encourage them to grow back and I've even had it recommended to me when I bought a new bird. That's why people come here to ask questions, so we can guide them in the right direction. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
For people who don't know much about birds, this tends to be normal practice. Pet stores will pluck out broken tail feathers to encourage them to grow back and I've even had it recommended to me when I bought a new bird. That's why people come here to ask questions, so we can guide them in the right direction. :)
Rocko had two broken tail feathers not blood just like bent I didnt pluck them I just twisted it so it fell off and ill just wait for it to moult out.I would never pluck any of my birds I was shocked reading this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Let's keep in mind that everyone comes from different parts of the world, so they may not have information as readily available as others do. They're here to learn and ask questions :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Let's keep in mind that everyone comes from different parts of the world, so they may not have information as readily available as others do. They're here to learn and ask questions :)
I think most people here forget that people are here to learn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts