Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get Rocko to be more active moving around doing things if hes in his cage he will just sit unless hes going to his food bowls if hes on the playstand he just sits unless im training him mainly the only time he moves is when hes getting up to no good like stealing millet hes done that a few times when I fell asleep and yesterday I caught him with the harness because he likes to play with the leash part on it and my clicker has the same material as the leash and he has that ripped apart I want him to run around and play and not just sit around.If hes not flying much would he need to build his muscles up?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sometimes while Kiwi is out of the cage I will kind of make her fly around the room. She loves playing this game of "catch me if you can" when she doesn't want to go back in her cage. So I use it to my advantage to get her to stretch her wings. I'll just kind of shoo her off the door so she flies around the room a number of times until she's bored of it. I'll also do flappies with her, where you drop your hand really fast to make them flap their wings to exercise them. I use flappies more to help Kiwi regain her balance with her bad leg, but they work great with the wings of clipped 'tiels and ones who don't want to exercise. And this is going to sound so bad, but one day my mom was playing with Kiwi and while Kiwi was sitting in her palm... she threw Kiwi up in the air to make her fly downstairs to me. Poor thing was so shocked because she had never flown "down" from an area before and wasn't used to it. She loves doing it now and it is great exercise. If you have an area that your 'tiel will always fly back to, like they'll always fly to a door or on top of their cage to perch when they fly off. Then you can use that to your advantage that they will always fly back there and use it to exercise them by making them fly. My 'tiel will always fly back to my door in my room no matter what, so I'll just go to random parts of the house and have her fly to exercise if she is being stubborn about it. She'll always fly back to the door. :)

For in cage exercises you can get lots of shreddable toys or ones that he can climb on. If he doesn't know that toys are supposed to be fun then play with the toys with him around like a bird does. Peck at them, preen them with your fingers until he gets curious and comes over to play too. Once he sees they are fun maybe he will play with them in his cage. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fell asleep after I came home from school woke up and caught Rocko with the millet again sneaky bird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts