Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious.
We have know Baby since ha hatch and visited her once a week till she c ma home, She will be 1 on Jan 1st. She is the tamest bird I have ever known, I can do anything with her. I can pick her up like a burrito lol touch her wings or any part of her and she doesn't mind. She thinks she is a little person, she thinks if I'm eating it she should get some or if I have water its ours. I don't know she even thinks she is a bird lol.

Marty on the other hand has been through a few owners in his 6-7 years of life and is nothing like Baby. He wants to be with one of us but no fingers. He does bow down for scritches but as soon as he sees your fingers he tries to bite9not hard but like HEY NOW). I would say he is tame but not like Baby at all.

I wonder if its just personality or how they were raised. We smothered Baby with love as soon as she hatched and she expects it to this day. if she can't be with us she is a mess lol. Marty on the other hand wants to be with someone but is fine if he isn't, he is a cage potato.

can't post without sharing their xmas photos from a few days ago. I will do more when the kiddos go to school.

Enjoy

Baby
IMG_0472 by lillahine,
Baby
[IMG_0470 by lillahine
Baby
IMG_0469 by lillahine

and My Marty
IMG_0475 by

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Their Christmas photos are adorable! Joey is fine with hands, loves scritches, lets us adjust toys near him, etc, but won't step up, or sit on shoulders. We open the cage door and he comes out on his own. He will either go back in on his own or ride a bamboo spoon handle. I'd say he is tame but stubborn and wants things on his own terms for some things. We respect that, but keep slowly working on stepping up.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think it's a combination of nature and nurture. My boy Sunny, who is now 22 and has been with me since he was weaned, is very tame in the sense that he'll happily ride anywhere on your shoulder, but he does not like to be touched most of the time. On the other hand, my two rescue girls who had either no or very negative human interaction for the first part of their lives are both huge cuddle bugs. I'm not sure I'd say any one of them is more tame than the others, just that "tame" can have different meanings and a lot depends on the birds' personality as well as experiences.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Aww loving those christmas photos! Will have to nick that idea ;) beautiful birds!

I think in terms of tameness there is of course the upbringing/nurture of the bird is a big factor, but personality means a lot too. I think people outside of bird owning wouldn't realise they have their own personalities (like every animal!).

Maxi is very tame -- though I got her when she was very young, I was only 10 at the time and I can't remember how old she was but looking at chick/progress pictures I think she was very young to go to a new home (barely had her crest in, feathers were only just coming in on her neck, and I was given egg food to give her). She got lots and lots of fuss and attention from me, and she's always been very well mannered (the odd time she has gone to a vets, Maxi gets lots of praise for being a good birdy/surprises some vets, so I don't know what the other birds they see are like!). She will give a small nip if people try and bother her for scritches (After plenty of crest down/open beak warning!) but she has NEVER bitten anyone other than the one time when my dad grabbed her off a picture when I first had her (and I didn't blame her!).

You can fiddle about in her cage and she doesn't care, in fact I move her along when I'm fixing in her millet as she's right next to it when I'm doing it and I just know the stalk would ping back and hurt her as I adjust it!

Maxi allows me to hold her even though you know they're not too happy about it (cant blame them), she loves her scritches, always steps up, she flies over to me when I ask and so on and so forth. She always steps up in her cage, goes back quietly and so on. I always tell her shes a good bird as I know I take it for granted that she's so easy. She's bonded to me but she's happy to sit on my mum's knee and associate with other humans (though scritches are definitely not allowed for the non-bonded aha).

I don't know if I'd ever get another bird after Maxi, I really think I would be very lucky to have another bird the same, tame-ness wise.

Short answer: my bird is very tame. And i think it is a mixture of nature and nurture as to how tame they will be!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww loving those christmas photos! Will have to nick that idea
beautiful birds!

I think in terms of tameness there is of course the upbringing/nurture of the bird is a big factor, but personality means a lot too. I think people outside of bird owning wouldn't realise they have their own personalities (like every animal!).

Maxi is very tame -- though I got her when she was very young, I was only 10 at the time and I can't remember how old she was but looking at chick/progress pictures I think she was very young to go to a new home (barely had her crest in, feathers were only just coming in on her neck, and I was given egg food to give her). She got lots and lots of fuss and attention from me, and she's always been very well mannered (the odd time she has gone to a vets, Maxi gets lots of praise for being a good birdy/surprises some vets, so I don't know what the other birds they see are like!). She will give a small nip if people try and bother her for scritches (After plenty of crest down/open beak warning!) but she has NEVER bitten anyone other than the one time when my dad grabbed her off a picture when I first had her (and I didn't blame her!).

You can fiddle about in her cage and she doesn't care, in fact I move her along when I'm fixing in her millet as she's right next to it when I'm doing it and I just know the stalk would ping back and hurt her as I adjust it!

Maxi allows me to hold her even though you know they're not too happy about it (cant blame them), she loves her scritches, always steps up, she flies over to me when I ask and so on and so forth. She always steps up in her cage, goes back quietly and so on. I always tell her shes a good bird as I know I take it for granted that she's so easy. She's bonded to me but she's happy to sit on my mum's knee and associate with other humans (though scritches are definitely not allowed for the non-bonded aha).

I don't know if I'd ever get another bird after Maxi, I really think I would be very lucky to have another bird the same, tame-ness wise.

Short answer: my bird is very tame. And i think it is a mixture of nature and nurture as to how tame they will be!

I think about how lucky we were to get the exact personality we wanted. I asked hubby if he would get another one and he says we would probably end up with the complete opposite lol. I guess I have such a perfect girl nothing ever beats perfect lol

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Most of my birds are not tame. Mindwipe and Redshift are the hand feds and will gladly hang out with me but head scritches are out. The others are hands off, but I can pick them up with a latter as need be. Then there's Sides who will gladly jump on me to feed Spider, but as soon as hands are involved, all bets are off.

Then there's the babies I'm caring for. I've noticed a big difference in their personalities- Two are being hand fed and Spider is being Co-parented. Spider is much bolder and will run from me. Things have to be on his terms, but he'll submit to handling. The hand feds are like 'Love me NAOWWWW'. I'm their great maker of fake puke, LOL. It should be interesting when they're weaned :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Riley is the tamest bird I've ever seen he will happily let anybody pet/hold him he would happily spend all day with people if he was allowed to. Carolina not much the only time he is ok with hands is if Riley is on my hand otherwise he will go out of his way to bite.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Cinnamon was SUPER tame. I could whatever I wanted. She would fly to us she wanted to be with us so badly. I honestly think it's a combo because disposition can be bred for and so that does play a role in how tame a bird is. Some birds are just never going to fully be THAT tame because it's part of their personality.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've had Murray since she was weaned, and I visited her before that just like you did with Baby. Murray is extremely tame, wants to be with me all of the time and will never bite hard, but she's feisty in nature. She would not let me pick her up like a burrito or touch her wings, that's for sure! She'll shout/nip at me and let me know when she doesn't like something or to let me know I shouldn't be doing something - for example laundry. She hates it when I fold clothes! But she snuggles up to my face for scratches every day :) She's also got it into her head that she shouldn't step up for anyone but me - a problem I intend to fix with the help of millet and friends/family members over my Christmas break!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Beaker is tame where he will always step up. No touching at all. But whenever we're at the vet, I noticed he like head scratches when he's toweled. Wierdo.

Jaid is equally tame. Steps up always but no scratching. I can squeeze his face and cup my hands over his head, but I don't do that for too long. Jaid is a bit bolder than Beaker, so I can do just a little bit more with him

·
Registered
885 Posts
Zoe & Panda are velcro birds, I can't do anything without them wanting to be part of it lol. I can do anything with Panda, including picking him up around his body and holding him like that, but Zoe doesn't tolerate that anymore. She lets me do basically anything else though.

Zoe and panda are hand raised birds that i've raised from extremely early ages (zoe @ 7 days & panda @ 4 days). Odie and luna were both breeder birds that came to me as adults.

Odie will step up sometimes but that's about it. Luna won't let me come near her unless I have a food bribe lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My two are both hand-tamed. Freddy will step up, never bites, and loves to whistle along with you while sitting on your hand, but he doesn't want you to pet him. He is OK with people but only if Todd is right there too, he is extremely bonded to her.

Todd never wants you to stop petting her and will practically roll on her back and cuddle for hours if you want to. Todd likes Freddy but isn't upset if you take her out of the room without him (he however is.) She prefers people to other birds but does preen and play with him all day and they definitely keep each other occupied since I don't always have time every day to spend a lot of time playing with them.

Todd was hand-raised and Freddy was not. I got Freddy at 4 months of age and Todd at 9 weeks. She's almost 4 months now and he's about 6 months.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Obi will step up and loves to be carried around on my shoulder or arm. However, that is only if I'm wearing gloves. He's not that fond of fingers. If I'm wearing the gloves, I can scratch the very top of his head. Otherwise he tries to bite. I've only had him since August though, so I'm still working with him. He is very affectionate with his reflection, though! My brother took a video of him on his phone with the front camera turned on, so Obi was singing to himself. Every time he sees the video now, he has to sing and give it kisses.

I don't know how much Obi was handled when he was younger. I'm his third owner and he's just now 2 years old. His owners before me just didn't have the time for him because they have a lot of other birds and had a bunch of nesting pairs that kept them really busy. I don't know anything about his first owners except that he had originally been named Anakin and used to be able to say a few words.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both my birds are very tame!
Wiley is like your Baby, lets me do anything to him! He is also very young, so I have to take care to watch his body language as he matures--and make sure he doesn't grow uncomfortable with certain gestures (as birds tend to). So far though, I've not earned a single bite from him. I plan on keeping it that way!

Milly, my parrotlet, is also very patient with me, but (in true p'let nature) she has set up some definite boundaries that I take care in respecting. Sometimes, if I'm not paying attention and I do something that offends her, she'll give me a pretty good wake-up call via a well placed bite. Never anything that draws blood, though. She suffers no fools.
Despite that, she and I have the strongest bond--we know each other like the back of our hands...er...wings. I've done lots of trick training with her, and she's super intelligent about it. She learns concepts remarkably fast...and she's not even a year old, yet!

Both birds are pretty 'velcro' to me, they always have to know where I am and what I am up to (and be a part of the action) :>

J

·
0 Posts
My tiel lets me do anything to him (grab him, lift up his wing etc) when he's in a "trance" (he's basically frozen then... won't even step up on my finger he just sits there with heart wings)... otherwise he gets REALLY mad if I try to grab him up like a conure or stick my finger in front of his face... he attacks it and bites hard! I love it when he goes into a trance.... he REALLY wants to step up onto my finger when he's in a trance... but he is just so overjoyed he can't seem to move and has heart wings and chuckles LOL. It is weird.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sunny was hand-reared. When we took him home he was still pretty shy. We didn't get off to the best start - he hissed at me at first and walked away. He's pretty tame now and he's been with me since June. He'll give me kisses and put his head down for scritches but he's not a particularly cuddly bird. He likes to do his own thing a lot when he's out of his cage. He does peck sometimes but he's doing that less and it isn't really serious pecks. He's a great talker and whistler so we bond over that too.

I had a hand-reared lovebird who was super tame and wanted to sit on my hand constantly, be with me all the time and would be happy to have scritches all day long. But he wouldn't play with toys (no idea why because he had playful nature - I think he wanted human entertainment all the time). In a way its better that Sunny is more independent and plays with his toys. But I guess with all birds the more time you spend with them over the years and the stronger the bond between you grows the more tame they'll become.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My two birds are very tame - not as tame as previous big Aussie parrots I've owned by themselves - and Ringo was a crazy clear talker before getting Lucy. He's starting to talk again now, now we've seperated them at night in different cages. They both 'step up' - will fly and land where my finger points to, kiss etc. It's the first time I've owned TWO Aussie parrots (I'm Aussie) but he's got over his sexual thing as we are having a cold December up here plus seperating them. I know if I just had him again he could talk better than any breed of talking parrot. They groom each other now so that is a HUGE relief.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts