Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

How often to do clean the tiels' home?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  nic bike 
#1 · (Edited)
I think we did something similar to this thread but we've gotten some new members since then so I thought we should do another.:) How often do you clean the cages, area around the cage or pick up after your tiels. I pick up after them everyday :eek:, the vacuum is my best friend:rolleyes:, and I also do daily wipe down of any real messes on the perches, food dishes, water, and toys..etc, change their papertowels (under the grate) and wipe down all the poop on the grate. (I HATE seeing them walk in poop!!!) I know I would never want to walk in my poop so why should they. hehe
Then weekly I do a big cleaning where the birds are out of the cage and I'm wipe down everything...about every month- I take everything out and boil wooden perches, toys, disinfect- the whole works.

#2 ·
Every couple of days i change the paper and at the same time wipe any poo off toys and the cage. I took the grates out of my cages because i got sick of having to clean them, i swear my birds were aiming their poop at the grate bars rather than through them. :p Every month or so i put all the birds in one cage and totally scrub the cages down. I rearrange toys and perches every two to three weeks.

#5 ·
I clean Dooby out every other day. I use wood chips in the bottom of his cage and it never looks messy, but I know he's pooped! lol. He has one perch in particular that he seems to aim for and hit on a regular basis, so that one gets a scrub with sandpaper every other day as well. I wipe around with disinfectant when I clean his cage and then every couple of weeks it all gets put in the bath and blasted with the shower, sprayed with disinfectant and blasted again! As for the floor around his cage....well, wellie boots might be the order of the day if I didn't hoover once a day.

#6 ·
I wipe the grates down into the trays everyday, then wash the trays with soap and water. I was the food and water dishes each time I change them out. Once a week i do a thorough cleaning by taking everything off, toys, perches, etc, and washing them all with water and vinegar...anything that will fit in the dishwasher goes in there after the vinegar soak. Once a month I clean everything in a mild bleach solution, then in the dishwasher they go to make sure they're rinsed well.

#8 ·
I clean Willow out every 2-3 days. It doesn't really get too dirty in there as she is out a lot, but I still do it. I also clean the grate down about 3 times a week aswell. :)

#9 ·
when my budgies stay out of the tiels cage, I can get away without cleaning around the cage for a good 3-4 days (floor t.v stand) but if the budgies come in then I'm cleaning every day other wise me and the kids just drag seeds from one room to the next when they get stuck to our feet

I clean the papers out of all the cages every couple of days - Depending on how messy they are.

I take the shop vac to the floors of the cages when I change the papers and get any food millet that has went between the base of the cage and the bars

I clean the toys in the sink with vinagar and water when they're messy (about 2-3xs a week) I wipe em off every day

I clean the food and water dishes, every day before i refill them
I've got well water, so I've got to wash the water dishes out daily, the water gets slimey after sitting all night.

#11 ·
I clean out my cage when it needs to be. Usually about every 4 days. I'd say the perches get cleaned when they get poopie on them... which luckily isn't too often. Regardless - though, things get cleaned and moved about every 3 or 4 weeks. I get bored looking at it- so I figure they must get bored living in it... :p

#12 ·
I clean their cage once a week and change thier food twice a week. And when I clean them out I scrub everything E.G perches,bowls,grate,the whole cage, and wash out the bottom, and then put clean sanded sheets in.

P.S I definitely change thier water twice a day. :D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.