Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering how often do you play with a cockatiel everyday? So, an hour a day or something like that. Because I have all the time in the world with Peeka right now, but I'm starting school and I'm afraid I might not have the time with my cockatiel anymore. Does anyone know a good time, enough to keep a cockatiel happy and loved? Please help! :eek:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
On my days off probably 3 or 4 hours. Not all at one time, but throughout the day as I take a break from cleaning or whatever. On workdays I probably spend at least an hour if not more of time with them, just playing with them, or taking pictures of them as they play. If they want to sit on me I let them. Sometimes I put my dog in another room and bring them downstairs to drive Hubby crazy as he works at his computer. they like to get into everything. Kona has discovered he can take the delete key off and he won't stop until he does it. Bad bird!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I let mine outta the cage for a couple of hrs at a time..usually he flies towards his cage when he wants to go home...I play with him for about 10-20 mins...it's getting longer now that he's trusting me more...and that's about 2-4 times during the day..the rest of his outside time is either on my floor exploring or on his gym... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The breeder I got Kumo from said to only do one hour or less at a time, maybe 2-3 times a day if you can but at least once.She said it is crucial for them to know the "cage" is "home" so they do not start biting when you want to put them to bed at night. She told me lots of people don't listen to her, then call her later and say their bird is a biter....she said the bird thinks you are taking them away from their "home" (ex: playgym or room of the house) and putting them somewhere "not home"....

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I'm home my 7 come out of the cage for about 1 hour at a time, once in the AM usually right after breakfast. Then and once again in the PM after supper, again for about an hour. I try to have them back in the cage at least 30 mins prior to lights out to allow them to settle down and get their last feeding from the food bowls if they want. On weekend they will get longer especially when we have to clean their cage.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Woodstock spends much of his day out with me - usually around 5 or 6 hours when I don't have uni/work.
At home, he usually comes out around 5pm and is out for 4 or 5 hours before his bedtime

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I've read that cockatiels needs at least an hour out of the cage time a day. During the week when I'm at work, Sunny is probably out about an hour in the morning and 2-3 in the evening. Depending on my fiance's schedule, he is sometimes out longer than that. On weekends, Sunny is pretty much out as long as I'm home. So, anywhere from 7-10 hours a day?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This morning while putting on my makeup they sat on my shoulder and watched. :) Just a little interaction before they have to go back in the cage until lunch time. Then they can come out for about 45 minutes for a little break.
Work is getting in the way of my bird's playtime! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts