Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... when you are in a hurry and put your foot in the shoe to go out, and you feel something soft and warm in it... a gift from your tiel... :oops:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ha! Don't you just love that? But I promise you that its not as bad as a kitty's hairball in your shoe. I've been gifted with both! At least it wasn't in your hair :p

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tiel has pooped on my head quite a few times too (and I've got curly hair!). :)
And in the morning when I lift the blanket he always greets me with a poop. I lift the blanket - he poops.
At any rate it is advisable to check house slippers for guests before guests arrive. :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
The other day while I was cleaning, Zoe flew over, landed on my arm and did a nice big juicy turd. Then she flew away like it was no big deal.

I think it was because I hadn't laid out any paper towel for her on the coffee table and I had a sheet draped over her cage so she wasn't sure where to go lol.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Sideswipe left a huge, moon sized breeding poop on the floor today. Thank god for Hardwood floors, LOL!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent the morning cleaning a nice, juicy morning poo out of my carpet today, so I feel your pain! :lol:
I have to clean DOZENS of poops out of my carpet every day! I didn't know it was possible to potty-train them like shaenne did with the paper, and I think he is too old now to be potty-trained (he is over 6). :(
As discussed in another thread, they can anticipate events (like whistling), so I guess it is possible when they are babies.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
So far I have been spared the shoe full of poo, but at least one morning a week, if not two, I am taking off a shoe and sock at work to remove seed or pellets I feel rattling around.

I do, however, keep napkins stashed around the house for quick poo wipe ups. I have them stashed everywhere.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I opened a book (a rare one on top of that) and the pages were glued together by a giant poop... How it got there is really a mystery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes I definitely need to do some toilet training with Sunny. Luckily I have laminate floors but today he did it on the couch. He often waits till he gets back in the cage to do it so I'm hoping he should pick it up ok.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday he stepped on his own fresh poop and left footprints everywhere... :(

·
Registered
885 Posts
^ hahaha. I only laugh because i've witnessed this too many times with zoe and all I can do is laugh now. I love how they just waddle around completely oblivious to the trail of crap they're leaving everywhere lol.

Potty training is pretty easy. It's just tedious so you'll need lots of patience (lets face it, patience becomes involuntary and mandatory once you have a tiel). It takes a good while and you need to be persistent and consistent, but the end result is worth it, I promise. Find something that your tiel REALLY likes. In zoe's case it's millet. Omit it from their regular diet and use it as a training treat only. Keep some handy whenever your tiel is out with you, and every so often (when you think they'd be due for a poop), place them in a spot you'd like it to happen (in our case it's on her cage or on a paper towel), give a command like "go poop", and keep placing them there until they do it. Poop = reward and loooots of praise (for zoe it's poop = click & reward as I use a clicker to train).

I like to have two spots so she can go somewhere else if her first preference is not an option. Don't add in a 2nd spot until he/she has the first one down pat though, so I recommend the cage as the primary spot so he/she knows he/she can go to the cage any time nature calls.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When Rocky was a Pup he peed in one of my shoes. I'd take teil poop over that any day. There was also a time he peed in the cats food dish but I think that was more for revenge as the cat was mean to him and would attack him when he was asleep.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once I misjudged the placement of a new perch, so it was in an unfortunate angle underneath another perch. When Elvis sat on the top one the poop would hit the edge of the perch below, and catapult in a nice splatter pattern on the wall.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try potty-training then. He is a talented designer, but I still prefer my jumper without his footprints... :) But first I have to train him not to pluck. He has already greatly improved and plucking is not a habit any more, but he still has those days when he goes mad and he can destroy the good work of 3 weeks in 3 minutes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts