Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! :wf cinnamon:
In a few months i am getting a pair of male tiels, its my first ever time owning pet birds so im doing alot of research in advance. iv decided to put my tiels on a diet consisting of pellets , vegetables and abit of fruit and seed. The only thing im not to sure is how much food i should give them a day? for example, would a few spoons of pellets be okay for the morning, then through the day small peices of vegetables/fruit then at night a few table spoons of seed or is this too much/not enough? thankyou!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
They should have food all the time. They'll eat small amounts periodically throughout the day. Fresh vegetables should be given everyday if possible and should be taken out after 2 hours if not eaten to avoid spoiling :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I leave seed and pellets in the cage all the time and mix their veggies/fruit in with some seed in a smaller bowl and take it out after they've had a chance to eat it. When it comes to the mixed veggies I feed them, I give them about a tablespoon per 2 birds. I have a large bird feeder for their seeds and pellets and that generally lasts 3-5 days, depending on if the conure's shoveled most of the seed onto the bottom of the cage. I would guess the birds eat about 2 tablespoons a day of their seeds and pellets, but as they eat from a bird feeder, this is a rough guess :) .

Hopefully that helps you somewhat :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes definitely leave food all the time. I'm not sure how much I feed as I've never measured it, I just wing it :p Beware that seed husks remain in the bowl and make it appear full when really it is empty, too many birds get underfed due to this. Always blow the husks off the top of the bowl of seeds and refill accordingly.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I leave my 'tiels to monitor their own feeding. All I do is make sure that the food bowls are clean and full, and they like pellets almost as much as they like their seeds, so I'd estimate that they eat around 60% seed and 30% pellets. The other 10% is vegetables/herbs/fruit, which they get during out-of-cage time. :)

They have such a high metabolism that I wouldn't want to leave them without any food. As long as your 'tiels get plenty of exercise, there's no need to restrict their diet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks :) hopefully my tiels take on well to pellets and fruit/veg as its quite common for them to be seed junkies at first!:wf cinnamon:

·
Registered
422 Posts
For two tiels I feed 2 tablespoons of pellets, 2 nutraberries, or a avi cake split in half, and 2 teaspoon of seeds I try veggies but they don't eat them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
For Kiwi I do a little more than 1 tablespoon of seed and then have a separate dish for pellets I fill up that is about the same amount as seed. I'll put a a few nutriberries in the afternoon as a snack along with some almonds and bee pollen. Veggies are good if your 'tiel will eat them, my 'tiel is still kind of picky with some veggies but she'll devour carrots! :)
Also vet clincs say about 1.5-2 tablespoons of seed is a good amount, but it usually depends on your 'tiels size. A bird scale is nice to monitor their weight to see if they are eating enough. Watch them to see how much of their food they eat. My 'tiel is on the smaller size so they don't eat as much as other 'tiels. :D
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/cockatiels-feeding/814

1 - 9 of 9 Posts