Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have been looking for a mate for my darling Cinnamaroll

and i have on hold....
one cinnamon whiteface spit pied.. dunno bout other splits...
and one whiteface normal split to pied...
unsure if they are male or female...
i plan to build a large aviary(or two) soon, so i would like to eventually pair them all up...
is three too many to have? if they are all female.. i will have to have at least four...
would it be a bad idea to get two new tiels at once... they dont know each other... so it wont be like they will get comfort from each other...
also there is a pied cinnamon whiteface... possibly pearl, who knows the cinnamon whiteface, but then if they are all female... i will have 3 cinnamon girls.. and i really like the normal grey whiteface...
i just dont know!
the more i think about it, the more i just want all three...
but that would mean either selling one :eek:
or having four pairs of tiels :eek::blush::blink:
most of my life revolves around my animals, so it isnt an issue of time... but i dont know....
any thoughts?...

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
You might have the time, but do you have the money? I would be worried about vet expenses. I would get just the normal grey whiteface. Don't forget the quarrentine. Good luck and let us know what you decide :) Cockatiels are addicting, there should be some kind of warning when you get one :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol yeah i have the money for vets...
i work nights, just so i can have my days free with my animals, i also work part time in a pet shop... i can have my birds with me there on leads...
so i make enough money for it all....
i am also doing a veterinary nurse course this year...
i think i have decided to get... the cinnamon pearl and the cinnamon pied... because when i get a normal whiteface, if it is a girl i will want it to be pearl, and this one isnt....
it could still be a boy but i dont like my chances, if i am wrong...
ont the other hand, Cinnamon is recessive gene, so all i have to do to not get Cinnamon babies is not pair with a Cinnamon....
and even if they all turn out to be girls, at least they will be all geneticaly what i need in a female...
Cinnamaroll is a Cinnamon whiteface pearl split pied hen
new tiel #1 is a Cinnamon whiteface split pied...
new tiel #2 is a Cinnamon whiteface pearl? pied...
hopefully one of the new guys will be a cock...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If your plan is to build an aviary then you're only limited by the size of the aviary. :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your plan is to build an aviary then you're only limited by the size of the aviary. :p
yes, but i would like to have them inside too...
how many tiels do you think would be too many, inside, with their own room...
i am building an aviary or two, but i wouldnt want the birds to be out there all the time... i might set it up for breeding,
but i dont plan on breeding them till they are all about 2-3 years old...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Well i'm finding 5 to be a lot. :lol: I can't give them all cuddles and someone is always pushing in out of jealousy. I am perfectly happy with 2-3.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I'm happy with two but like Bea said, it's up to you, if you have them time, money and patience for all them, hey..get them all. Two is good right now for me..unless..you know..grandkids come.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i thought about that... but i would have to send it away, and wait a week or two for results to come back... and the pet shops cant wait that long...
i have decided on the 2 cinnamons...
they are brothers/sisters/sister-brother....
so getting them together, means they can settle in together, the come from the same people, so no risk of cross contamination, meaning i can quarantine together...
i will get them dna tested once they are home... for naming and self satisfaction purposes
took a couple of photos of them whilst at the shop today...
i get them tomorrow...
... i can happily settle at 3! and i could happily have more...
just wondered if there are specific problems with large groups of tiels, that people have experienced...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am a tad obsessive compulsive... i get uneasy when things dont match...
so i think having all cinnamons will work for me :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
any ideas of sex people?
the solid cinnamon has a very spotty tail, with no bars...
and looks to me like he sits like a boy, s/he also has a white looking head on some angles...
the pied i am totally unsure of...
i really would like at least one boy...
but i will love them the same nomatter what they are!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...:wacko: I'll be ok...going to look now..lol

Ah ok..the one in the back (darker) is looking like a male to me- the lighter one in the front of the pic female.
yeah that is the way i am leaning too...
hehe its funny how you described them.. cos you are right, the one at the front is pied, and only has a little colour that is not on his/her wings... and the other is a solid cinnamon... but the solid cinnamon is a much lighter coloured cinnamon than the pieds cinnamon colour....
so i look at them and think... you are the light one... no... you are the light one... no... wait... :wacko::blink::confused:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
yeah that is the way i am leaning too...
hehe its funny how you described them.. cos you are right, the one at the front is pied, and only has a little colour that is not on his/her wings... and the other is a solid cinnamon... but the solid cinnamon is a much lighter coloured cinnamon than the pieds cinnamon colour....
so i look at them and think... you are the light one... no... you are the light one... no... wait... :wacko::blink::confused:
lol- yea- it's a little backwards. They're beautiful though! I esspecially like the female's colors.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
No fair, a wf cinny pied! :p :love: My fav! I couldn't choose between them (well yes i could, i'd take the pied, lol), and why would you if you can have both!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
i'd say get as many birds as you'd like to have, i've got 10 tiels (plus eggs) and when i got my 1st bird i swore i only wanted 2 birds at the most, now i've got like 28 or so and i got my first bird in May of 07!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts