Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there lots of different sounds cockatiels make?we have had our tiel since the end of may,we think she is a girl or so we were told and she was around 4months when we got her,so far she only makes this loud sound when we walk out of the room,i am used to having budgies and hearing there different chirps,i have not heard any chirps,do cockatiels do this?:confused:

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Female tiels are much quieter than male tiels. I heard they only do a one tone chirp most of the time. Hopefully someone with a female tiel can let you know some of the noises their female teils make :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i noticed today that while preening herself/himself she was making what sounded like little chirps,never heard her do that before

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Female tiels are generally more quiet then a male would be, my females only make the loud calling sounds as well when I leave the room or when they hear me walking around and want out, I have one female that can wolf whistle like the males do but she does it less and less now that she is around the males, males will make many sounds and whistles throughout the day.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have to say, having both species, cockatiels (even the males) just don't have the same range of noises that male budgies do. Not natural noises anyway. :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
C.J., my 18 year old male is the happiest little bird on earth if you judge him by the sounds he makes. He has what we call the "drunken sailor" whistle, the wolf whistle, a complicated melodic singing/chirping that sounds like the birds outside, a repetitive sound that we call the "trying to start a car with a dead battery" sound because that's what it sounds like, and everything in between.

On the other hand, although I have had them just a short time, Sam and Lily really have only made the traditional single "chirp" or "tweet" sounds. I suspect they are both female, but time will tell.

I think that even at their loudest, tiels just sound like such joyful little birds!

-SB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i love to hear the one or two sounds kiki makes ,i was hoping for more though b/c i really enjoy the sounds my four budgies make ,my husband on the other hand doesnt really care for it,i told him its like white noise to me,i could sit and watch and listen to them all forever!!:love::love:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts