Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my new bird Kelly. She is a beautiful, quiet, affectionate whiteface. The aviary where she's from had her with a male, but they said the pair hadn't yet formed a bond.

I'm retired and so home most of the time. She is on my shoulder a lot. But I'm thinking that, since birds are flock creatures, Kelly might still need a feathered companion. How many of you keep a single bird? How well is your bird adjusted?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Awwwww, Kelly is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Like a snow princess!!!

I also have just one lone bird, Sunny. I work full time so while I am at work, Sunny is all alone. It has been like that for the past 6 years now. I try to be with her when I'm off work but as you can imagine, this means she is alone most of the time really. She has been fine but I do feel guilty about it because, as you said, birds are flock creatures and are meant to have company. If I could choose all over again, I probably would have gotten 2 birds so they could keep each other company. I thought of getting another bird but I just have no way of knowing how Sunny would react to it. She is so used to being the lone princess that I am worried she will be really jealous and would eradicate the new bird! >.< I don't know. I never tried it so Sunny is still the lone bird to this day.

However, in your case, if you are retired and are home pretty much most of the time, then my personal opinion is that it would be okay because you are Kelly's companion. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would recommend a companion. I think all parrots are very social birds, and seeing the bond my two have, I would not think of keeping one by itself. Even though I have two, they're both tame. Freddy loves to sit on my shoulder and sing to me. Todd loves to cuddle. But they have eachother on days I have a lot going on and can't give them that one on one time, and they're inseparable.

J

·
0 Posts
I would also recommend a companion... many yrs ago I used to have only one tiel and ended up getting a second tiel... even though they didn't like each other they still kept each other company and enjoyed singing to each other or arguing here and there with each other (they were just fine being in the same cage). I would never worry about 2 tiels getting along together... I would worry about a GCC and a tiel tough....

My tiel is single and about to turn 4 yrs old... I plan to get a second bird in a few months... it will either be another tiel or a just weaned baby GCC. My tiel HATES being alone when I have to leave the house and he can't come with me and he always looks so bored at home even when I am also at home with him. Of course the GCC would never be housed together in same cage as tiel.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey is an only child, and although he does pretty good most of the time, he does display occasional days where we can see he needs a sibling. We try to keep his toys rotated, keep his door open most of the time so he can come and go as he wishes, interact all the time we are home, leave his radio on when we are gone, etc, but we can see how he'd benefit by having another bird in the house. We can't currently until we move from this place (no pets allowed building, but they made an exception for him), but when we look for the next place we will make sure we can.

Some birds do fine as singles. My mom's little guy is fabulous with his human flock and no other bird. I suppose it all depends on Kelly's personality if she is content without another. She is gorgeous, by the way. :love:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your good thoughts and stories. I suppose there is no one answer to every situation.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Kelly really is beautiful, how lovely is an all white cockatiel !

I'll add in my experience too as a single bird owner! Obviously they're social birds so they need a lot of attention, Maxi is super bonded to me which I feel guilty about (I'm not a bird/she's not human etc) but she's a happy bird and gets plenty of fuss because I mostly work from home and even if I'm not here there's someone so she's always seeing people.

Whether birds are kept as a flock or singularly they're still living unnatural lifestyles, just up to us to do the best to provide the food and love they require!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a single cockatiel but three birds altogether and my tiel does not care for the other birds. If she became an only bird tomorrow she would be over the moon with joy because she is bonded with me and doesn't want to share. IMO you have to take your cue from your bird. Sometimes a friend is the right thing to do sometimes it is the wrong thing to do, there is no absolute. If you do get a second bird do not buy a new bird with the expectation they will share a cage. They may adore each other or it might be hate at first sight there are no guarantees which way it will go.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Percy is my only tiel - he has Lucky the budgie as a neighbor in her own cage next to him. Lucky adores Percy - I'm not sure he cares as much about her but he does whistle to her when I take him out of his cage. There's almost always someone here at all times and Percy's cage is in the living room so there's plenty of activity around him. I have him out for many hours most days, too. I don't plan on getting him a 'friend' since he seems content with things as they are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ive had my Danno forma six months. We pay a lot of attention to her, most of the time I'm at home I'm with her and she loves being with me.

When we bought Grimmjow she seemed happy to meet each other. They are in the same cage and they spend time together, but they are also playing separately. But I'm so happy we got him because they look happy to have a cagemate.

Really, I didn't thought that Danno was lonely and it was me who wanted a second bird. I think that if you don't have so much time, it could be good to have a second one. But you have to think what would you do in case they don't get along.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Sunny is also a single tiel. He was hand-reared. I think Sunny definitely thinks of me and family as his flock. However I do work at home so he gets lots of attention and even when I'm not in the room with him I have music on upstairs and he hears me talking to him when he calls me. I think it depends on your own situation and how much time you can spend with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts