Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Lol, I actually live in a very small apartment and none of my birds are loud. They know they are safe and secure, and as long as meal time comes on time, everyone has enough toys, they are quiet. I have been very careful not to encourage any clingy behavior, and as my birds have each other, they are not alone when I leave the room. I get a chorus when I walk into the room, especially if breakfast is late, but other than that they are pretty quiet.

My daily routine takes about an hour to an hour and a half for feeding, watering, and cleaning, and I have multiple play stands. I make a lot of my own toys, feed fresh whenever possible, and highly favor full flight :) I feel like my sanity is pretty safe ;)
I've done the opposite from you... I have created a clingy monster who screams his head off literally throws tantrums if I leave the room. I completely solved the problem though by permanently attaching my tiel to my shoulder. I can only imagine that would NOT work if I had 21 birds hehe :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nope! Lol, would not work. You probably want to stat changing that before you bring your new GCC home though, so that you don't cause a territory war for your shoulder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Lol ah oh... I predict trouble.

My tiel always prefers to sit on my leg when I'm sitting down he always immediately climbs down to my leg... but I'm hoping my tiel can sit on one shoulder and GCC on the other shoulder... or is that too close to each other and a bad idea?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It will be fine if you teach them, but initially it will likely cause problems. Conures are essentially tiny macaws, and they are pair bond birds. They mate foe life, and in the wild they are almost always touching, in even in flight. Unless you train your bird to accept other birds being on you and around you, and teach them that you are NOT your mate, prepare for everyone who comes near you to be attacked, including your tiel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It will be fine if you teach them, but initially it will likely cause problems. Conures are essentially tiny macaws, and they are pair bond birds. They mate foe life, and in the wild they are almost always touching, in even in flight. Unless you train your bird to accept other birds being on you and around you, and teach them that you are NOT your mate, prepare for everyone who comes near you to be attacked, including your tiel.
Omg, I am starting to think maybe better off getting another tiel I'm too scared/worried about Rascal getting hurt. Not sure what second bird I'm going to get. Just when I thought I had it squared away and figured out I'm now back to square one! =(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Lol, just relax, do your research, and learn how to deal with the issues before you bring your new bird home. Research macaw training, most of that is way more useful that the conure stuff because people are dumb lol. If it applies to a macaw it basically applies to a conure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
From what I've heard green cheeks are responsive (almost like little dogs) and supposedly easier to train than tiels... I will keep fingers crossed everything works out :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Responsive, yes, but nothing like dogs lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Responsive, yes, but nothing like dogs lol.
They lay on their backs, can be taught to roll over and are more responsive than tiels and are generally very playful which is why I suppose some say they are like "little dogs or puppies"? I have a feeling I am going to have an interesting experience to say the least when and if I ever get a GCC.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Some do lay on their backs, but not all. They are more of crazy clowns than cockatiels, way more likely to bite you lol. Mine aren't particularly playful but were as chicks. They are curious though :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am a one-bird owner right now. Although I'd love to experience rescuing other parrots I can't see myself getting any soon. There's the money, the space blah blah, but also the fact that Murray is currently an amazing only-bird. She and I have got a great bond and I'd hesitate to upset that balance unless I was totally certain, which I'm not...yet!
I had one tiel - Ringo. He was talking like crazy, doing tricks. Thought he might be lonely when I'm out for the day so got another tiel. It DID upset the balance if I'm being honest and now my first bird is totally different and I've lost that close bond I had with him. I love them both very much but it did change things. If you have a super bond with one bird - stick with one bird.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2 year old lutino boy called Charlie. He is currently sitting on my chest with face up against the iPad screen...coz he simply MUST help me with everything!

He's the sweetest little thing, loves scratches, snuggles and falls asleep on me at least once a day. I've thought about getting another coz I have to work long days sometimes, but I don't want to loose the bond I have with him and he has had some issues with chlamydia and I wouldn't want another bird to get infected. So its jus me and my featherball! <3

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have currently have 12 tiels 7 hens and 5 cocks. A pair of whiteface are breeding right now and NEXT Sunday we are having 2 more FEMALE sun conures given too us along with the two male brothers we all ready have!!!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts