Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I have two cockatiels - a male and a female. It's a perfect number for me. Not too much mess and noise, they keep each other company and yet they still want to be with me.
I don't think I would like to have a single bird. Too much pressure to be the only buddy.
Same thing with more than two - a lot of mess, expense and constant cleaning:blush:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Having outside aviaries makes it easy having too many tiels lol. I have two inside right now but that varies. I had the opportuniy to buy a lot of 10 from a breeder with lots of splits so they caused the sudden overpopulation. My aim is to have a smaller group of all tame birds.
For cleaning I have my vaccuum plugged in and sitting next to the birds all the time and I go through and sweep and clean my outside cages once a week.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If Oscar pooped like my tiels and gcc, I would be much much happier LOL.

Cleanup is pretty easy though. Just a quick paper change every day and a thorough clean once a week. All of them are mostly potty trained, when they're out they'll wait to poop until I put them in/on their cages or on a piece of paper towel. That's my responsibility though and if I forget or i'm not quick enough they'll do it wherever they are. Most of them do give me a little squeak or chirp to let me know they need to potty so I just have to listen for it.

And the seed eaters have hooded bowls so they don't flick seeds everywhere. That keeps everything a lot cleaner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If Oscar pooped like my tiels and gcc, I would be much much happier LOL.

Cleanup is pretty easy though. Just a quick paper change every day and a thorough clean once a week. All of them are mostly potty trained, when they're out they'll wait to poop until I put them in/on their cages or on a piece of paper towel. That's my responsibility though and if I forget or i'm not quick enough they'll do it wherever they are. Most of them do give me a little squeak or chirp to let me know they need to potty so I just have to listen for it.

And the seed eaters have hooded bowls so they don't flick seeds everywhere. That keeps everything a lot cleaner.

What type of bird is Oscar? Just think, it could be a lot worse... I ride horses and now you are talking HUGE poops with horrendous aroma LOL. My tiel is also "potty trained"... if I say "go potty" he will be potty... but if I forget he has NO problem popping on me... that is for sure. He pottys wherever whenever.. it is my fault if it ends up on me.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Oscar is a rainbow lorikeet and he does not like to poop in his cage, so like most rainbow lorikeets, he will shoot his poop out on a 45 degree angle lol. And lorikeets eat an all nectar/fruit diet so their poops are crazy acidic and it's not particularly easy to get off walls and stuff if left for too long LOL

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Oscar is a rainbow lorikeet and he does not like to poop in his cage, so like most rainbow lorikeets, he will shoot his poop out on a 45 degree angle lol. And lorikeets eat an all nectar/fruit diet so their poops are crazy acidic and it's not particularly easy to get off walls and stuff if left for too long LOL
I visualize walls near the cage covered in plastic, and a huge plastic sheet under the cage. :D Of course, we rent, so I'd have to be overly cautious of acidic poop. :D I'd love to have a rainbow lorikeet though, because they are stunning.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I rent too, so I have to be extra careful. My husband made a plastic hood to go over Oscar's cage so that it covers the back and sides, and we bought a box of floating floorboards to cover the carpet in the bird corner of the living room. Cleanup is a cinch!

·
Registered
182 Posts
OMG, I didn't realize so many here have so many birds! How on earth do you manage to deal with all that POOP!?!? :eek: =)

I'm am a HUGE clean freak. I currently have one tiel and thinking of getting another bird next year.... I'm trying to figure out if I could handle having 2 tiels and one GCC... but I'm very concerned about having 3 times the amount of poop everywhere lol. I don't know about that one :(
I had my male first - he talked and was being very tame and amazing. Heard it's not nice for them to be alone so got a girl. He doesn't talk anymore and is angry sometimes and likes to bite now which he never did.

I've ALWAYS been a one parrot owner to concentrate all my love and attention on them. This is a new experience for me. They both battle for my attention and don't really like each other. I feel I know birds especially parrots very well as I was raised with them - galahs, cockatoos, corellas, lorikeets etc.

If you are happy with one bird and it is happy just have one - unless you are away for lengths of time when they can get lonely. I work from home so miss my solo boy a lot. Now he's just an angry teenager and very hormonal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am a one-bird owner right now. Although I'd love to experience rescuing other parrots I can't see myself getting any soon. There's the money, the space blah blah, but also the fact that Murray is currently an amazing only-bird. She and I have got a great bond and I'd hesitate to upset that balance unless I was totally certain, which I'm not...yet!
Stick to it. If your bird is happy and you have that great relationship - don't mess it up. I did and I'm now stuck as I love them both but my original bird has got angry, defensive and stopped bonding and talking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My brother in law had a rainbow lorikeet while I had a red tailed black cockatoo. My parrot was the sweetest softest teddy bear of a parrot. My brother in laws parrot bit us all - hard. But to be fair he had no idea how to handle birds.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Oscar is a total cuddle bug when he wants to be, but he's mostly just a clown and would rather be off exploring and getting into stuff lol. He's only bitten me once, which was when I tried to get him to step up off my shoulder. No more shoulder sitting after that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've got fourteen birds as of tonight.

Freddy, a young gray tiel, and his flockmates, three male budgies - Arthur, Sydney, and Sam. Sam is completely tame and LOVES people while Sydney is tame on his own terms and Arthur is a bit of a fraidy cat - he will land on your arm for treats though. We actually found Arthur outdoors last September lost, so his history is unknown, while Sydney was a rescue and Sam was bred here (we had his parents until recently). The four share a large flight cage and really get on well. Freddy must be with his buddies at all times or he is not a happy camper! (He is hand-tame, but he wants to be with birds, not people, unless you can help carry him somewhere he can't reach or have treats, then he has no problem hopping aboard an outstretched arm and using you lol.)

We then have, across five other cages:

- 2 little diamond doves named Dilly and Dally, who are siblings. Don't know their genders, they're still very young.

- 2 canaries, a grey male named Weaver and an orange female named Sierra. They're both about 8 months old, they're an unrelated pair and very much bonded. Weaver was raised in our home and I hand-fed him past 8 days old, when his mother was killed in a very tragic household accident and his father was too distraught to fully care for him. Sadly, though he was tame for a while as a result, once he met his female companion he went pretty wild again.

- 3 Society Finches, Apollo and Cirrus and Claire. Lovely, quiet, ever-so-sweet little birds that cause no trouble and love everyone.

-2 orange-cheeked waxbill finches, a female named Trixie and a male named Tango. These guys are gorgeous, beyond adorable, but they're not a domestic species and are DEFINITELY hands-off pets. They're beautiful to just watch and listen to, but there is no bond with this type of bird.

And finally, a big male brown ringneck dove named Sparky who've we've had since he was just a chick. He's tame and lets himself be petted but he's not really bonded to anyone and just sticks to himself mostly. The other birds all love playing with Sparky and sitting on his back and he's very tolerant lol.

Tomorrow though it will be fifteen birds! I will be adopting another hand-raised baby cockatiel from a local breeder and can't wait to meet him or her. Freddy gets along well with the budgies, but I feel he'd really be happiest with another of his own kind, too, so another bird will join the flock soon!

This is actually just a few birds to me - not long ago, we had more than forty, mostly finches. I bred them and had a beautiful large open aviary and loved it, but circumstances changed and it became less doable and increasingly harder to keep maintained as I liked it to, so many of the finches were rehomed and sold with just a few of the favorites staying around, plus of course our little parrots and doves. Fifteen is thus, to me, nothing at all to keep up with, and since our birds are all housed in groups they are not especially needy, meaning they keep each other company and play by themselves just fine when I can't be with them, so it works out well. They all share a large, sunny spare room now and get time out of their (very large) cages almost every day. Our budgies and tiel (soon to be tiels!) have an enormous f40 flight cage full of toys and enrichment, too, so they always have something to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one sweet little pearl girl tiel. I'm seriously thinking of adopting her brother but I can't decide. If I wait long enough they will sell him and I won't have a decision to make anymore. Any advice?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Let's see, I think they are in my sig but I'm not sure now...

Tucson, 13 year old special needs eclectus

Mel, 8 year old formerly abused Blue Headed Pionus

GREEN CHEEKED CONURES
Flick, 2.5 year old, normal green, wants to have my husband's babies.
Titan, turquoise, hatched this spring (2015) raised him from one day old, he was smaller than a freshly hatched cockatiel.
Cache, high red yellow sided GCC, about 2 years old, thinks she is a human child and will literally fall asleep in the hands of children.

COCKATIELS
Jackie and Sniper, normal grey cockatiels, age unknown, both came from different homes where elderly people were no longer able or interested in caring for their aviaries. Currently on eggs, first one due to hatch on Tuesday!

Battle, dominant silver whiteface cockatiel, split pied, age unknown. She was abandoned in the wild. I did everything I could to find her family to no avail. I searched for them for months. She is the sweetest cockatiel alive.

Honi, dominant silver white face lutino, hand raised by me, produced in my home. Her father was stolen from me in a theft incident (3 cockatiels, I GCC, and two IRNs were taken) and I sold her mother to a friend.

Sylvester, pied cockatiel produced by me, moving on to his new home soon.

INDIAN RINGNECKS
Blue, Female, blue in color, from my favorite breeder in the whole world :)
Ka'iulani, female, violet, her mother came from the original breeder who developed he violet mutation
Kamehameha, male, turquoise, also from my favorite breeder :) he is actually still staying with her to finish a full year in the aviary, since I can't offer him that kind of freedom
Nani, female, grey, came to me with severe nutritional issue, terrible beak injury, and covered in scabs. She is healing nicely.
Smokey, female, grey, or at least. We think female, at her age there is actually a chance she is male... DNA in the mail this week!
Hapu'u, female, green, potentially wild caught, an idiot brought her into a local pet store IN A PLASTIC BAG! I'm very upset.
Shadow, female, grey, came in with Nani but was in much better shape. I suspect her of inflicting the wounds.
Kahili, male, blue, yells his head off at every little thing. The bird needs a chill pill.
Ali'i, male, blue, super sweet chatters and flirts with me even though he isn't "tame"
Pono, male, green, my most recent addition, he looked awfully ragged but is cleaning up nicely.

Napoleon, female budgie, lutino. She is Cache's service animal lol. It's a long story but she has the perfect temperament. She actually belonged to a friend and I was hold enough to ask if I could have her, since she is so unique in personality and I knew she could work wonders with my phobic Cache. It's not at all a technique I recommend, you have to know both birds individually to understand why it worked.

So that makes 21 currently. Small for me... No fosters currently, or boarders, and I just cut down my cockatiel flock and sold my budgie breeding pairs... Practically an empty house...

Oh, and a dog, cat, three fish tanks, and a husband :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have 6 tiels (3 bonded pairs, 2 are incubating eggs these days), And 3 pairs of budgies they are also incubating eggs these days :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Let's see, I think they are in my sig but I'm not sure now...

Tucson, 13 year old special needs eclectus

Mel, 8 year old formerly abused Blue Headed Pionus

GREEN CHEEKED CONURES
Flick, 2.5 year old, normal green, wants to have my husband's babies.
Titan, turquoise, hatched this spring (2015) raised him from one day old, he was smaller than a freshly hatched cockatiel.
Cache, high red yellow sided GCC, about 2 years old, thinks she is a human child and will literally fall asleep in the hands of children.

COCKATIELS
Jackie and Sniper, normal grey cockatiels, age unknown, both came from different homes where elderly people were no longer able or interested in caring for their aviaries. Currently on eggs, first one due to hatch on Tuesday!

Battle, dominant silver whiteface cockatiel, split pied, age unknown. She was abandoned in the wild. I did everything I could to find her family to no avail. I searched for them for months. She is the sweetest cockatiel alive.

Honi, dominant silver white face lutino, hand raised by me, produced in my home. Her father was stolen from me in a theft incident (3 cockatiels, I GCC, and two IRNs were taken) and I sold her mother to a friend.

Sylvester, pied cockatiel produced by me, moving on to his new home soon.

INDIAN RINGNECKS
Blue, Female, blue in color, from my favorite breeder in the whole world :)
Ka'iulani, female, violet, her mother came from the original breeder who developed he violet mutation
Kamehameha, male, turquoise, also from my favorite breeder :) he is actually still staying with her to finish a full year in the aviary, since I can't offer him that kind of freedom
Nani, female, grey, came to me with severe nutritional issue, terrible beak injury, and covered in scabs. She is healing nicely.
Smokey, female, grey, or at least. We think female, at her age there is actually a chance she is male... DNA in the mail this week!
Hapu'u, female, green, potentially wild caught, an idiot brought her into a local pet store IN A PLASTIC BAG! I'm very upset.
Shadow, female, grey, came in with Nani but was in much better shape. I suspect her of inflicting the wounds.
Kahili, male, blue, yells his head off at every little thing. The bird needs a chill pill.
Ali'i, male, blue, super sweet chatters and flirts with me even though he isn't "tame"
Pono, male, green, my most recent addition, he looked awfully ragged but is cleaning up nicely.

Napoleon, female budgie, lutino. She is Cache's service animal lol. It's a long story but she has the perfect temperament. She actually belonged to a friend and I was hold enough to ask if I could have her, since she is so unique in personality and I knew she could work wonders with my phobic Cache. It's not at all a technique I recommend, you have to know both birds individually to understand why it worked.

So that makes 21 currently. Small for me... No fosters currently, or boarders, and I just cut down my cockatiel flock and sold my budgie breeding pairs... Practically an empty house...

Oh, and a dog, cat, three fish tanks, and a husband :)
Wow! Okay you win the price for most birds. How do you keep your sanity? ... and many of the birds you own are loud!! Kudos to you for being able to handle all of them :) Sometimes i can barely handle my one tiel flock calling after me lol This is why I always have him with me, it's peace and quiet then.
Do you have all those birds in your house? You must live in a mansion!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Went to the biannual bird mart and came home with four new feather kids. I have a pair of spanish timbrado canaries and a pair of scarlet grasskeets. So my total flock is now at 14. I don't see myself getting any more birds. But never say never.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow! Okay you win the price for most birds. How do you keep your sanity? ... and many of the birds you own are loud!! Kudos to you for being able to handle all of them :) Sometimes i can barely handle my one tiel flock calling after me lol This is why I always have him with me, it's peace and quiet then.
Do you have all those birds in your house? You must live in a mansion!
Lol, I actually live in a very small apartment and none of my birds are loud. They know they are safe and secure, and as long as meal time comes on time, everyone has enough toys, they are quiet. I have been very careful not to encourage any clingy behavior, and as my birds have each other, they are not alone when I leave the room. I get a chorus when I walk into the room, especially if breakfast is late, but other than that they are pretty quiet.

My daily routine takes about an hour to an hour and a half for feeding, watering, and cleaning, and I have multiple play stands. I make a lot of my own toys, feed fresh whenever possible, and highly favor full flight :) I feel like my sanity is pretty safe ;)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts