Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stormy laid her first egg yesterday. She is showing no interest in it at all, in matter of fact even was rolling it around the cage earlier like it was a toy. I know that theres a chance that she might show an interest in it (I'm fully expecting another egg tomorrow), but when should I take it away?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, I posted this in the wrong forum.:blush::blush::blush::blush: Is there a way to move this thread?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its almost like though she has no idea what to do with the egg. She's still a baby herself, and is trying to have babies.:confused:

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
That is a very good reference link.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its almost like though she has no idea what to do with the egg. She's still a baby herself, and is trying to have babies.:confused:
How old is she?
If she is completly ignoring the egg i would say it would be safe to take it out.
Laying eggs is not very healthy for her so you wana make sure there are no nesting spots. Do you have a grill on the bottom of the cage?
You may also try makeing nights longer like 12-14 hours of sleep per night, that will hep stop her laying eggs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok i just found this here on that thread "She'll most likely not sit on the very first egg, but some do. Most will wait until the second or third, or even until the clutch is complete" So you might not wana take the egg out yet. You might wana Wait for someone with more exsperence on egg laying females to clear that up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's not even a year yet. She was hatched second week of April 2011.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Leave the eggs and let her finish laying this clutch...then see how interested she is in the eggs.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
And she is over 9 months old so she has technically reached maturity. Once these eggs are laid and gone, you need to try to be extremely persistent with hormone reduction. Does she have access to anything nesty, inside or outside the cage?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
What about when she is out? Any dark places, shoes, beneath pillows, under furniture...that she is interested in?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She actually hates dark places. Weird I know. We are talking about the bird here however who weaned at 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Why would her weaning age matter? All that matters here is that she is of age to produce eggs and has laid an egg. Be vigilant and look for things that can cause her to become nesty and remove them. Then begin covering her cage for 12-14 hours each night, rearrange her cage frequently, and move her cage to different parts of the room/house each time you rearrange the cage.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Also watch carefully how you handle her or pet her. Try to stay away from any petting on her back and if she starts snuggling with you and raising her tail.. try to discourage it. This is hormonal behavior and the petting can trigger it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has a grill.

Would having the male parakeet in the house matter as well?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I don't think a male of another species would make her any more hormonal than she would be on her own. Does he sit on her back or something? If not, then i don't see that it would effect her.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts